Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 03-10-2002 , 06:13 AM
wow

# 17 03-10-2002 , 06:15 AM
Subscriber
Looks great, too bad you couldn't show me how to do that. .lol.

# 18 03-10-2002 , 06:21 AM
The Maya Mountain
nice, kbrown

One thing does strike me as odd... if you cover the front of the face, the back of the head looks fine, and if you cover the back, the front looks fine, but together, they seem to be offset from each other. The back of the head would seem to be looking forward, while the front is obvioiusly tilted down some.

Hope that made sense.

Very good job, though. user added image

# 19 03-10-2002 , 07:43 AM
Mike, you're right. I've noticed the same, but I don't know what exactly should I change user added image The side reference image I used doesn't show the backside of the head. Thanks for the comments. Maybe I'll try to tilt the back of the head as well...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 20 03-10-2002 , 08:01 AM
Whoa ... Now that looks a lot like Natalie ...

Now this model, it´s awfully great ... you can see the improvements throughout the thread!

Keep on it kbrown!

# 21 03-10-2002 , 08:19 AM
Kevin
hey kbrown...you head is lookin impressive... but i notice just a little bit that looks off , just under the cheek bones where the slight line is from the front view.

looks like it comes in then back out a little to much

but hey...awesome all the same...but do you see the point i mean?

# 22 03-10-2002 , 08:58 AM

Head observation ...

One thing does strike me as odd... if you cover the front of the face, the back of the head looks fine, and if you cover the back, the front looks fine, but together, they seem to be offset from each other. The back of the head would seem to be looking forward, while the front is obvioiusly tilted down some.

I actually had to tilt down the reference image to create this vector map.

Don´t mind the frontal part ... (except that neck line below)
Look at the back now ... seems to be quite an inteligent girl that model .. but unfortunately too much. I guess this is what´s ticking off mtmckinley.

Hope it helps ...

(By the way do you know Loomis? That vector map was created after one of his drawing books, must see reference)

# 23 03-10-2002 , 09:35 AM

Re: Head observation ...

Originally posted by adldesigner
(By the way do you know Loomis? That vector map was created after one of his drawing books, must see reference)

Thanks adl! Actually I have the Loomis Figure Drawing book but I had forgotten it user added image Thanks for reminding me. I'll try it tomorrow (no time today)...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 24 03-10-2002 , 03:19 PM
The Maya Mountain
I'm not ticked off! user added image

Maybe that means something else in other parts of the world. "Ticked off" means "really angry" over here. lol

# 25 03-10-2002 , 05:19 PM
Lol ... cultural misunderstanding then ..
pardon my english user added image

In that case ticking off means here "me está arrechando" ... hehehe

Last edited by adldesigner; 03-10-2002 at 05:55 PM.
# 26 04-10-2002 , 11:51 AM

Originally posted by Kevin
hey kbrown...you head is lookin impressive... but i notice just a little bit that looks off , just under the cheek bones where the slight line is from the front view.

looks like it comes in then back out a little to much

but hey...awesome all the same...but do you see the point i mean?

Sorry Kev I didn't notice your reply until now. Do you mean the line shown in the attachment? If so, I have already done some modification on that area. I'm currently struggling with the ears. I'll post some updates soon.

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 27 04-10-2002 , 11:53 AM
and the file...

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 28 04-10-2002 , 12:41 PM
Kevin
yep, that was the bit mate,

I must say ... it realy has come on recently, you seem to be learning a lot!

well done dude

# 29 04-10-2002 , 01:01 PM
Thanks. This is not my first attempt on a human head. I've tried it couple of times back when I was using 3dsmax but they were far from this one. Nowadays Maya fits in my hand more comfortably (how do you spell that?) than max ever did.

I also want to thank everyone who have taken the time to comment on my work. All suggestions have been really valuable. So thank you thank you thank you... user added image

This still isn't anywhere near a finished project. The ears have to be done and the skull needs some tweaking. Then the real fun begins: the texturing. I can almost see myself pulling my hair figuring out the UV layout user added image

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

# 30 04-10-2002 , 03:30 PM
The Maya Mountain
yeah, I messed with texturing my head a little bit... as you probably saw (before I deleted them), I didn't do that good a job. lol