Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 91 07-05-2007 , 05:52 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
thxs for the compliment
i'm using a low poly model for animation and used a smooth proxy for the high model as a target, i don't know what a wrap deformer isuser added image
And i will look into the smooth binding thinguser added image
thanks for the advice gster.

# 92 09-05-2007 , 07:17 AM
okay, i've finally had some time to go at maya again and made an "alternative" lightsaber.
i used a sampler info node connected to a v-ramp(facing ratio-v-coord) to make it look like as if the saber has a bright core....
...but when i look at it at a slightly angular view this effect doesn't last, my question is; is there a way to maintain the bright saber core(as shown in the picture)?

I've just started making some controls to the character and i tried to make the lightsaber stick to the hand and follow the rotations of the hand.
because the saber consists out of two poly-objects i grouped them into a saber group created a locator and used a point and orient constrain so that i can move and rotate the saber with ease.
I used a SDK-control on the armcontrol to make the fist which holds the saber, i placed the saber within his "fist", created a new locator snapped it to the lightsaber -locator then orient and point-constrained the saberlocator to the newly created locator and the point and orient constrained the new locator to the arm controls.
It didn't work:headbang:
does anyone know a better way to do this?

Attached Thumbnails
# 93 09-05-2007 , 07:19 PM

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 94 10-05-2007 , 12:50 AM
thanks for the link, manuser added image
And i figured out why facing ratio didn't work==>i didn't need it was just a plain ol" ramp that did the trick :headbang:
what a good nightsleep can do to a man:p

# 95 10-05-2007 , 06:37 PM
Ok i'm getting fed up with his lightsaber now if i stay within a certain range of the lightsaber he renders just fine but when i zoom out to much it renders odd.(see picture)
I used shader glow for the glow and because the radius of th glow became to big(in my opinion) in comparisen to yoda i scaled down the saber geometry in x and z(read;radius)
thanks in advanceuser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 96 12-05-2007 , 02:49 AM
Ok i've been modeling the sith a bith more and for the most part i've moddeled the scene where(i hope) all the action will take place.
I want to add some more buildings to the scene and some vehicles.
i want the building to be high in the sky, so i made 3 planes rotated them individuely and moved them in y and mapped a cloud texture to the transparency ta fake depth, but somehow it isn't working==>suggestions most welcome.
I will add a 3d container to simulate clouds on the point where the building intersects the "sky".
If someone knows how to create a realistic sky and /or knows how to light a large scene(i want the scene to be red and gloomy-sunset-) here's the place to put the knowledge
:bow:

Attached Thumbnails
# 97 12-05-2007 , 02:50 AM
and the building.....

Attached Thumbnails
# 98 12-05-2007 , 09:27 PM
Banned
i must have missed this post somehow, the render at the top of this page will look amazing once finished, gonna keep watching this thread.

# 99 13-05-2007 , 07:22 PM
@meredith: user added image

# 100 14-05-2007 , 06:53 AM
hey Mastone,

On your sith, the eyes need more definition. Could you post a wire?

# 101 14-05-2007 , 07:29 AM
i know what you mean gster, but i'm still in the roughing out stage, experimenting with textures and what not.
I appreciate the comment thoughuser added image

# 102 14-05-2007 , 07:35 AM
Personally I only would start to play with the textures once the models completed, otherwise your just going over old ground, uving, painting and whatnot.

# 103 14-05-2007 , 07:36 AM
i know what you mean gster, but i'm still in the roughing out stage, experimenting with textures and what not.
I appreciate the comment thoughuser added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 104 14-05-2007 , 08:27 AM
I think that you could do with adding a few more edge loops in there to get more control of how the eyes are looking, also youve got 2 tris in the temple area, if you delete the middle line that makes up the tris then youve got it back to all quads, just a thought.

also with you lightsaber, i'm sure that a while ago (poss about a year) it was discussed in the effects forum (right at the botton on the forums home page) and some one used a jiggle diformer to sort it out, might be worth a look.

# 105 14-05-2007 , 06:35 PM
Subscriber
hi, this is looking quite cool. It'll be quite a challenge to animate and choreograph a fight. Just out of curiosity, have you animated anything that complex before?
For your lightsaber glow, why not do it in post. After effects, shake etc.
That will give you a lot more control and if you want change you won't have to re-render.
There is a very good glow plugin, you can download a three week trial version for almost any composing app. and it works just like the full version when you render, no water marks or anything like that.

https://www.genarts.com/index.html

good luck