Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 23-06-2003 , 08:13 PM

the new mac G5 is out now!

yep, its out and its on the website. It looks very promising to! ... i wonder if alot of pc users are going to be switching to a mac soon user added image I hope the new power book comes out soon... then i will definatly switch to a mac. (if its good of course)

https://www.apple.com/powermac/video/

$2,399.00

1.8GHz PowerPC G5
900MHz frontside bus
512K L2 cache
512MB DDR400 128-bit SDRAM
Expandable to 8GB SDRAM
160GB Serial ATA
SuperDrive
Three PCI-X Slots
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Ultra
64MB DDR video memory
56K internal modem
^^^is one of the combinations you can get.

Last edited by dbirider; 23-06-2003 at 08:29 PM.
# 2 23-06-2003 , 08:20 PM
Kevin
<---- awaiting for rage user added image

# 3 23-06-2003 , 08:23 PM
Considering I just built my super pimped-out pc last November, for about $500 less with comparable specs....I don't think so.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 4 23-06-2003 , 08:23 PM
Subscriber
Looks very retro. I dig it :-)
I am so happy :-) Go Apple. Hip hip hooray for the underdog.....or is it an underdog? Now is the time to buy Alias.....:O)

grrrr
# 5 23-06-2003 , 08:25 PM
Subscriber
Nitro no offence but this is one hell of a machine. NO SHIT!!!

grrrr
# 6 23-06-2003 , 09:25 PM
:wow:
512MB DDR400 128-bit SDRAM
64MB DDR video memory
$2,399.00
user added image :saywhat:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

MSN: cyborg_corporation@hotmail.com
AIM: RavagingOrc
# 7 23-06-2003 , 09:27 PM
Don't forget for $500 I build a
P4 1.7 gigz
512 DDRAM
Geforce 4 64 Meg (soon to be 128)
40 Gig HD
52x cd drive
48x Cd RW
hahaha...what? did I pay almost 1/5 of you?

# 8 23-06-2003 , 09:43 PM
SM Tea Boy
I'm with HAL 9000, for about £400 i can build a comparable system and put BSD on it which is basically what mac do they just then add another 2000 bux to the price tag.

big whoop

If you want something for rendering your far better building one PC with a decent gfx card, processor and memory and three other boxes as render engines.

David

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"
# 9 23-06-2003 , 09:49 PM
That's funny, I didn't know there where any... PC's... with a 64 bit processor running with a 900mhz FSB... learn something new everyday...

Oh yeah... what's the RAM limit on your machine... ?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

Anyway, on a more important note. PC's still have the price factor on their side. I'm just glad that Apple has finally moved forward with it's hardware. They blew everyone away when the G4 first came out, then the PC side caught up, passed, and completely anhilated the G4. Now it's time for the Mac's to overcome all PC's again, well as far as processing speeds go that is. We'll see what comes next though. Will Intel come out with a Pentium 5? Will they be able to compete with IBM as far as speed goes? I'm excited just to see this! LOL

And I now all you naysayers are going to backlash and say that PC's where never slower than Macs. But the truth is until the 1Ghz barrier was broken by the AMD Athlon chip, Macs where the fastest machines, bar none, for personal use. It's been a whole... what 2 years that PC's have lead the speed race? We'll see what happens next!

# 10 23-06-2003 , 10:06 PM
Subscriber
oh cool - i was looking today at apples website - and was bored - nothing new - AGAIN ????

and now this - i just tuned in a few hours too early.

hope to see a big price drop on the g4 systems now user added image - want a cute g4 imac as surf board user added image

# 11 23-06-2003 , 10:14 PM
The reason I hate macs is because i've tried macs. For god's sake. look at them. How the hell are you supposed to work on those? What if you wanna upgrade a part or replace one? Can you do it yourself at home or do they make it so you gotta take it in to repair? God knows I wouldn't want a computer that looks like that where i'm afraid to scratch it or dent it. Who would want that girly silver computer? Sure, it might be good for house wives...but seriously!

# 12 23-06-2003 , 10:16 PM
You know....I work on both PCs and macs and to be honest I don't give a flying crap what it is as long as it's quick, doesn't crash, and lets me get my work done. Yes, the new mac has a fast processor...yes, it has a very fast frontside bus...that's great...I'm happy for the folks at Apple but I wouldn't get so caught up in the specs. Things are always changing in the race for computer processing...buy what serves your purposes and bank account.

As far as RAM limit is concerned...Am I going to need more than 3Ghz of RAM anytime soon (the max of my board)? By the time I do, I'll be ready to switch out the mobo anyways. Just out of curiosity...can you buy mac mobos separately or do you have to buy a new box entirely when things start getting obsolete?

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 13 23-06-2003 , 10:23 PM
actually, it seems very easy to add stuff. they say that the side panel opens up and you just remove the old hardware and put in new hardware, and when its clicked in, your done and its ready to use.

"Up to 500GB of internal storage
The Power Mac G5 has two Serial ATA hard drive bays for up to 500GB of fast internal mass storage — ideal for video, audio and high-resolution graphics. Built-in software RAID allows you to stripe the two drives for increased performance or mirror them for high reliability. And it’s easy to add storage as your needs grow. Single-drive systems come with the cabling to connect a second hard drive, and the easy-to-open side panel lets you insert a new drive yourself. Want massive system storage? Just use a Fibre Channel PCI card to connect to Xserve RAID, Apple’s high-performance storage system."

but then again, thats from the point of view of apple. ive never actually owned one. I have used one though, and i like the fact that everything just seems much easier to do on a mac than on a pc.

# 14 23-06-2003 , 10:43 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by HAL 9000
The reason I hate macs is because i've tried macs. For god's sake. look at them. How the hell are you supposed to work on those?

you have no real arguments so you bring up the design of the case? dont take "work on them" literally. you are not supposed to SEE the computer while you work. just slam the case under the desk and work infront of the monitor(s).
you tried a mac and could not stand it because the case was so ugly?

just my $ 0.02

# 15 23-06-2003 , 11:03 PM
SM Tea Boy

Originally posted by wchamlet

Oh yeah... what's the RAM limit on your machine... ?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

8 gig is the ram limit on my MB ECC RAM btw my FSB runs at 800MHz not that it means a lot.

as to what happens next I expect Intels Itanium processor and Amds Opteron processor

Fact is for the money you pay for it i can build a cluster that runs faster for vfx processing, for me it all comes down to speed I can get more for my money by not buying apples hardware simple.

From a readers' Q and A column in TV GUIDE: "If we get involved in a nuclear war, would the electromagnetic pulses from exploding bombs damage my videotapes?"

Last edited by David; 23-06-2003 at 11:10 PM.