Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 29-06-2003 , 10:28 PM
Subscriber
Alright, that was a total failure, I have way to many daily things to do to be able to keep up with that. I stopped at day 1.. :O. Anyways, instead my miscellaneous small models will go into this thread.. to make sure the board stays cleaner and you dont all have to see a bunch of small threads user added image. I think this has been done before.. well I know it has, thats why I decided to do it too..dont remember who though user added image. Ok, well I should have some models soon.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 17 29-06-2003 , 10:34 PM
Subscriber

Fence

Alright, I decided to help out a friend make a game, anyways.. he has a whole team, which I am on.. and it is a mod.. so it may just be finished (Y). Anyways, heres the first model that i have made for this game, its a fence user added image.

Attached Thumbnails

# 18 30-06-2003 , 02:40 AM

Maya and Games

That is very interesting to me, because I would like to insert Maya models and animations in games, but I don't know how to convert and import. Do you have any help you may give me on that?

Sy
# 19 30-06-2003 , 04:05 AM
Subscriber
hey, sorry.. no i dont.. like i said its just a small thing.. its really a mod for a old 8 bit video game.. so i am making the models in maya, then lowering the quality big time as an image.. then he will import it with code into the game itself. The funny thing is, the original game is actually incredibly fun and funny too! The original game is Dink Smallwood. If any of you know, making mods in this game is a piece of cake once you get to know the commands. This guy is going over the edge though, so i decided to help him out. Alright, i also just made this because i always wanted to try it, I was trying to make a nes character totally out of poly cubes, but i could only make it from the side, as trying to do it from the front is very hard user added image. Heres the model that i ended up with though user added image.

BTW, i also wonder how to import into games with animation... but silvia.. my best piece of advice would be to get quake 3 and go to polycount.com ( i think thats the address.. or search it on google) and look around there.. they teach you how to make a model in 3ds max for the most part.. but there is a section on Maya... it is really cool and then you can play the game online with your own characters that you have made in maya... i think its limited to triangle meshes though user added image.

Alright enough jibberish on my part.. cya.

Attached Thumbnails

# 20 30-06-2003 , 04:06 AM
Subscriber
One other thing.. whats wrong with my maya? As all colors render fine, as you can see in that image.. other than bright reds. Hahha, they seem to just mess up like crazy! Alright.. if anyone has a solution i would like to know, because in all my models I have to make sure i stay away from red.

# 21 30-06-2003 , 04:43 AM
i get that same problem on my bright blues.. i could use the help as well

-- Why is it snowing rain --
AIM: SnowboarderCF
# 22 30-06-2003 , 04:56 AM
The Maya Mountain
I think it might be the jpg compression.

# 23 01-07-2003 , 01:00 AM
I think Mike is right. Jpegs are great, but the compression is far from flawless.

It's Dr. Know, Not Darknow
# 24 01-07-2003 , 03:18 AM
Subscriber
You suggest targa? It doesnt realyl capture lights though user added image. Gif?.. i dont know, have a suggestion?

# 25 01-07-2003 , 05:18 AM
The Maya Mountain
for posting images on the forum, I'd strongly suggest staying with .jpg, just for convience of downloading. You could try a higher quality compression setting in Photoshop's "Save For Web" option.

# 26 01-07-2003 , 05:51 AM
Hi M, thanks for your answer! I already know how to import simple Maya meshes into Quake II format and then into a game:
- Make model in Maya
- Export as OBJ
- Import OBJ into MilkShape
- Export to Quake II

Problem is using full animated characters. If anybody out there knows some way of doing it, PLEASE, let me know! I am currently developing a game to submit to the next Independent Game Award, and using Maya with it would really make a difference.
THANKS!

Sy
# 27 18-07-2003 , 03:44 PM
the way I would do it is to export each frame of the animation as an OBJ and then load the animation as a series of frames at the begining of the game (e.g. a 6 frame walk cycle) and then using pointers to change which file to draw. that would be a VERY simple way of doing it.

The thing is that OBJ's dont stire keyframe animation but files such as 3DS files do. So if you can learn how to load those then you're laughing or you could learn how to create MD2 or MD3 files and load those

user added image
Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 28 18-07-2003 , 05:44 PM
Wow, thank you so much! I had thought something in that direction, but I thought that the date would become really big. I mean, it would be around 100 OBJ files for each character, if you count walk cycle, idle animation, attack animation, etc etc. If I don't find any other way of doing it, that's the way I'll go, but of course, I would rather find a way to export a Maya animation file. I like also the idea of writing my own exporter, since I am a SW Eng and can find my way around code. Any idea where to find specs on the OBJ and MD2 or 3 file format?

Sy
# 29 18-07-2003 , 06:29 PM
obj is easy I can post my obj loader if you want to have a look at it. Easiest way to do it is to create a file and then look at the output and figure out what you need to take from it and then figure out how to parse it.

user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB