Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 10-09-2002 , 08:31 PM

whats the use of patch modelling

hey dudes,
when modelling a head with nurbs in seperate patches,the advantage is to have more detail in areas that need it.
of course what i'm confused about is after i patch model the head i need to stitch it right.and for the stitch to work correctly/succesfully the seams should have the same parametrization.so then i go and rebuild the surfaces and match the number of spans etc on every patch... thus contradicting what i intended to do in the first place user added image
i know sub-d is the way to go but i'd like to be convinced once and for all that nurbs and charachters are a no no.
tahnx dudes.
my first post here btw user added image
b

# 2 10-09-2002 , 09:34 PM

Re: whats the use of patch modelling

Originally posted by boomji
hey dudes,
when modelling a head with nurbs in seperate patches,the advantage is to have more detail in areas that need it.
of course what i'm confused about is after i patch model the head i need to stitch it right.and for the stitch to work correctly/succesfully the seams should have the same parametrization.so then i go and rebuild the surfaces and match the number of spans etc on every patch... thus contradicting what i intended to do in the first place user added image
i know sub-d is the way to go but i'd like to be convinced once and for all that nurbs and charachters are a no no.
tahnx dudes.
my first post here btw user added image
b

This might not really help, but...
It really depends on your workflow, and your final output.
For example, I use ONLY polys, and recently, subd's.
But, ILM's pipline is set-up specificly for NURBS.

I just depends on your usage, and to a lesser extent, experience and pipline.

Yeah... that didn't really help at all... sorryuser added image

I think there might be a tut on NURBS parametrization on Gnomon, but I hate suggesting them because I don't have the 50 bucks a month to spend to learn only a few things.
I think this site's VIP section is working on something along thos lines, and if they aren't, it might be a REALLY good suggestion for a tut.

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com