Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 19-09-2002 , 10:12 AM

Beveling (Help needed!)

Hey Guys!

I have a little bit of a problem ...

I just created a polygon model, which I combined to a polygon torus. Now I´m trying to bevel the model (By selecting the edges I want beveled) and actually applying the bevel, to my surprise it doesn´t do a thing.

I already Deleted History, and it even appears in the Channel Editor (PolyBevel 1) But it doesn´t show the results.

Outliner shows this:
Code:

persp
front
side 

[-]      o   pCube1
[-]      |__o  polySurface3
          |    |__o  transform3
          |__o  transform1
             defaultLight
             polySurface8
             polySurface7
[-]      o   pCube2
[-]      |__o   polySurface3
         |     |__o  transform3
         |__o   transform1
             polySurface10
             pSphere1
             pSphere2
             pSphere3
[-]       o   defaultLightSet
           |__o   defaultLightShape
             defaultObjectSet 
polySurface8 and 7 are somewhat of a cube each .. and they are both on a layer non-grouped nor parented.

the transform nodes I suppose are the manipulator handles I had to drag around while creating the model.

polySurface10 is the one I want to bevel. She´s on a layer on her own. She´s combined with a torus polygon.

The three Spheres have history deleted .. and are on their own layer (They are not parented nor grouped for the moment as you can see)

I need some help. Thanks!

Last edited by adldesigner; 19-09-2002 at 10:16 AM.
# 2 19-09-2002 , 10:14 AM
Argghh ... friskish html .. well .. I guess you can guesstimate a bit looking at that "outliner" .. arghh ... it looked so perfect. LOl

**EDITED** Great I fixed it! ... The outliner problem here .. not the bevel problem .. lol

Last edited by adldesigner; 19-09-2002 at 10:17 AM.
# 3 19-09-2002 , 12:36 PM
Argghh ... just checked ths Script Editor.. I have a manifolded vertex (where the f*ck? .. i don´t know) .. darn .. Hate when that happens ..

Anyone had some trouble like that? What can i do to solve it? I suppose it´s some face´s normal which must be backwards .. but i don´t see it. Or i may be wrong and have the wrong idea .. Anyone up for some good samaritan roleplaying?

Thanks!

# 4 19-09-2002 , 03:57 PM
Sh*t ... i get the feeling I´m talking to myself here ..

# 5 19-09-2002 , 05:25 PM
The Maya Mountain
You can go to Polygons > Cleanup. In the options it'll fix non-manifold vertices, but usually that jut means splitting the vertex. But at least it'll tell you which one it is.

# 6 19-09-2002 , 06:16 PM
Hmm .. didn´t think of that one ..

Thank you very much .. y rebuilded anyway the model (I have trouble with instancing and stitching later so i did the old-fashion way .. lol -selecting each of the faces)

Will have it mind when building other models! Thanks

# 7 19-09-2002 , 06:18 PM
By the way .. What does "non-manifold" mean?
I´m curious to know what made me so mad the last 6 hours or so ..

Lol

Another thing i noticed was .. it´s better to bevel edge by edge than the model at once (more control and less "non-manifold this .. vertexs that blablabla")