Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 16-06-2005 , 12:29 AM
Hey Guys I see we are creating quite a stir. I am in on animating some stuff if you need an animator. I am wanting to do an hour long movie. I have been messing with level design in the UNREAL engine. It's really awesome I created my first level. The point is have you ever played a game and then maybe in-between the levels you watch a little movie clip? Presto my light bulb lit up. user added image
I was going to add in "bots" and everything I could to do a super long movie. Until then I guess I will manage with a short movie in Maya alone and eventuallly bring in the Unreal stuff. Does anyone know if I can take the UNREAL plug-in for Maya learning addition into Maya 6.0?

Thanks

MRCHRISTOPHER

I am the Lizard King I can Do Anything.
-Jim Morrison

Http://www.chriscrowell.com
# 17 16-06-2005 , 10:00 AM
I did two levels to Unreal Tournament like 3 years ago.

ONE HOUR LONG movie? Reality check! Do you know how long that would take?

# 18 16-06-2005 , 04:39 PM
Well brother would you like to make some more?

Thanks
Chris

-Jim Morrison

# 19 16-06-2005 , 05:23 PM
I haven't even played UT last couple of years... why?

# 20 16-06-2005 , 07:00 PM
Subscriber
I think with all these interested parties acknowledging that they want in. Every good party needs a leader, and with that said I'm nominate the person was the best script idea to be the leader. So does anyone have any ideas for a "short"? I can't imagine this to be too long of a movie. I know many of us have designed our on demo reels and we know how long that took us.. lol :>

https://www.verticalincline.com
# 21 16-06-2005 , 08:01 PM
Yep, we have three alternatives: a crappy long one, a good short one, or worst case: a crappy short one user added image

I think number two would be best... like 2-5 mins. The hardest part will be to manage the project...

# 22 16-06-2005 , 08:28 PM
Location: Where do u think I am right now? Alright, I'll tell y' all... I'm at Gnomon Workshop and Highend3d sites...Hehehehe...just kiddin':)!!!!Oh, I'm not a ego member anymore? Cool!!!! I'm a Senior Member now!!!!
Well, if a short movie comes up, we can think about a long one, maybe...

Anyone here plays Tibia?

Add me to your MSN list

Tibia is the best MMORPG that i've ever seen...xD
# 23 17-06-2005 , 12:58 AM
Subscriber

Well based on the fact that we haven't yet worked with each other before, nor do we know how busy each others schedules are.. start off with a short one. If its a complete success, and was done in record time because we all worked so well.. then the next project can be a longer one.

# 24 18-06-2005 , 05:59 AM
Subscriber

Short Cute Film

The Project should be simple like the short films that Pixar does in the beginning of all there films. For examples you can go to pixar.com and view there short films. I think a great example is the on with the blue birds or even Pixar Jr. with the lamps. Anyway the point is that it doesn't have to be really complicated to be great. My name is Chris Vitkovsky and I started this thread. Finally ther is a lot of interest. Here is what i will try any one who is interested in getting involved send an email to slatamilian@yahoo.com . This is my email address and i will try to organize this until we get going. I don't want to necassarily be in charge, it's more about wanting to make sure we get started in some way. Also if you do have any idea for a short, simple and hopefully funny short story please send it to my email. I would think to start no more than 5 minutes long. I have a really good imagination an could come up with something if i have to but I would really like to see other ideas. If you have any thoughts for a story please send them. Your ideas don't need to be in any formal set up. Just write them out as if your telling a friend about it. Well I think this could be really great. We could all learn a lot and have fun at the same time. I look forward to hearing from you.

P.S. I am also using Maya 6.0 but I guess some one above said we can convert stuff so we should all be ok.

CDV
# 25 19-06-2005 , 04:16 AM
You just need to save your files as .ma and then open it up in notepad... the minimum version is set there as a variable... change it to the opener's Maya version (exact variable names aren't on the top of my head...)

# 26 20-06-2005 , 01:06 PM
I bet that that wont work EVERY time though, I mean it's more than the version number that's different in the file formats, but maybe for simple scenes it'll work. Otherwise we just export and import different formats, .obj etc.

# 27 20-06-2005 , 08:18 PM
Subscriber

I was the one that posted the idea of using the mayaFileconverter.exe the program is on highend3d. Under Maya Plugins.

mayaFileConverter 1.0 (WIN32 - FREEWARE)

APPLICATION DESCRIPTION:

Converts either a Maya ASCII scene file or a
Maya Binary scene file to ANY other version.

SYNOPSIS:

mayaFileConverter [-v] filename

FLAGS:

-v Target version.

USAGE:

mayaFileConverter -v 4.5 C:/myFile.mb

Give it a try, both for Linux and Windows

# 28 20-06-2005 , 10:33 PM

MOVIE

OK YOU POSTED THE THREAD BUT THAT DOESNT CHANGE THAT I HAVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT BEFORE I EVER JOINED THIS SITE. I KNOW I WON'T HAVE ANYONE TO HELP ME WITH MY LONG MOVIE SO I GUESS I MIGHT AS WELL HELP YOU ON YOURS. SO WHAT I AM THINKING IS THAT MAYBE A COUPLE OF US WHO ARE SERIOUS WRITE EACH OTHER EMAILS MAYBE AND WRITE A LINE OF THE STORY AT A TIME. LIKE THIS
BILL WRITES THE LINE: THE MAN WALKS OUT OF A STORE
JOHN WRITES THE LINE: AND THEN A CAR DRIVES BY AND SPLASHES WATER ON HIS $3,000 DOLLAR SUITE.
ETC. ETC.

YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN? I THINK THAT WOULD BE GOOD.
OH SORRY FOR THE LARGE CAPS I DIDN' MEAN ANYTHING BY IT.

CHRIS user added image

-Jim Morrison

# 29 22-06-2005 , 01:17 AM
Subscriber
Yah setting up a team speak server, or a chat room would be ideal. Where as just random ideas posted on forum, or just thru emails may not be as productive. We should set a time depending on our time zones. To meet and discuss ideas for a short, I'm sure all of us have a lot of experience to bring to the table.

# 30 25-06-2005 , 10:57 PM
Guys,

This is a great idea! i would love to help out but i am only beginner/intermediate really. However i would love it if you'd let me model some background props/do some scenary all depending on what sort of short it is.
I'm in agreement that the well thought out, to the point and very short films are the best kind.
My e-mail is puddyman@gmail.com if anyone finds a task for me to do i'd leap into it with headfirst - after all maya is the sweetest thing on gods green earth!
anyway - less talk more action i say! get some ideas posted - just a paragraph or two about your ideas would be great.

I suggest we put together an email list of everyone who wants to be involved as a starting point, we can then send ideas and vote on the best, i believe everyone involved should be entitled to a plot idea and we vote fairly on which it is to be

once again my email address - puddyman@gmail.com
feel free to send anything related to this
user added image