Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 25-07-2007 , 05:30 PM

"Old ironsides"

Hey everyone, I'm making this ship for a prop in the backround of a scene that I'm working on. This is the U.S.S Constitution (AKA Old Ironsides) I've used drawings from the instruction manual of the model of the ship. I've been working on this for four days. tel me what you think!!

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

# 2 25-07-2007 , 09:14 PM
Wow thats an awesome model from a crappy reference pic. You must be good user added image

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 3 25-07-2007 , 11:20 PM
Indeed, but I guess that he had another picture in order to colorize it and make the details. user added image

How far away will the camera be by the way?

It doesnt scream realism right now but I figure that you dont need to detail it further if you use dof and it is away from the camera. Could you explain the scene to us so we can try understand how you want it. :

Perhaps you should make a more detailed texture to the hull.

Otherwise, nice work and keep it up! user added image

# 4 25-07-2007 , 11:24 PM
It'd be good enough for GTA :p Those 3D models are shocking. Have you seen bushes in San Andreas. Its pretty much a textured plane *shakes head* Disgraceful.

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 5 26-07-2007 , 02:02 AM
Thankyou everyone for your comments! maybe ill send it to EA to use in their next GTA game!

Yes, i do have other reference pictures, I just used that one for the top view to create the hull. I found a very detailed real model of this on ebay and looked at all the stuff It has. user added image
I'm still new to creating good textures and placing them onto my creations though.

I'm adding alot of stuff that wont even be seen in this picture, but I want to create a complete ship anyway.

This isnt the final image, I still have alot of tweaking to do such as the ships position, I just made that really quick to show you the scene

Oh, by the way Weyu, whats dof?

user added image

# 6 26-07-2007 , 03:37 AM
DOF is depth of field, basically meaning that you focus on one point on the front of the model, but the back is blurry because only the front is in focus. that confused me though, as i was typing it...
check out this link for a good definition, haha:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_of_field

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 7 26-07-2007 , 05:31 AM
hmm. is there a tutorial somewhere that teaches you how to do this?

# 8 26-07-2007 , 12:04 PM
That looks great. I think I saw a tutorial on Depth of Field. It is something to do with the attributes I think.

# 9 26-07-2007 , 05:57 PM
Subscriber
cool model, would look really great if you threw it in a river/ocean and rendered it in there ... and also is the render abit dark? dont know really since im on schools computer and this monitor is abit, crappy and dark ... :S

Originally posted by Monkey Wrench
hmm. is there a tutorial somewhere that teaches you how to do this?

Just press f1 and type in DOF in there, hopefully it should come out, how to use it etc...

marlon

# 10 26-07-2007 , 09:49 PM
Nice going man any chance of a wireframe?

Theres a real easy way for DOF, you set the cameras center of interest to the focus Distance (think its that) in the hypershade and then use the foucs region scale value to adjust the amount of DOF (oh also have it switched on). To set where you want the DOF to focus just select the camera hit "T" and then use the manipulator to place the focus area.

Some of the settings might for the above might be wrong as ive not got maya open as ive been having a bit of a holiday.

Like Marlon said if you look in the hlp files for DOF it goes over what it is and what the various attributes do

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 11 27-07-2007 , 03:40 AM
Ahh sweet thks guys

heres wire frame, my ship around 11,000 polys

user added image

# 12 27-07-2007 , 03:59 AM
Nice and clean man, nice and clean!

Be a joy to texture that beast!!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 13 02-08-2007 , 05:15 AM
here are some updated pics, I havnt been able to work on it as much when I first started.

Here is the back
user added image

here is one of the crows nests
user added image

here are the low poly cannons
user added image

and the high poly ones
user added image

# 14 02-08-2007 , 06:18 AM
that sweet.
user added image

# 15 02-08-2007 , 09:14 AM