Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 16 09-08-2007 , 09:55 AM
thnks guys, yes, it certainly will need lots of detail.

I have a question, I have started making all the ropes for the ship, but I'm curious to know if it would be better to make them nurbs or polygons, I also want to make an fbx. file so I can open it up in other 3d programs like max but i dont know what programs can make nurbs. thnks

# 17 14-08-2007 , 09:12 AM
Subscriber
I'd make the ropes very thin nurbs cylinders and convert them to polys (I tend to keep things like ropes and bracing wires nurbs as they are easier to texture). Whether or not you then want to make them soft bodies is up to you! Otherwise, it looks really nice!

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 18 27-08-2007 , 06:58 PM
ok, heres an update, Lt Jim i took your advise and made them nurbs, but I dont know how to convert them to polys, I made each individual piece for the rope ladders which has made the program laggy, is there anyway to reduce this without loosing quality

also, what does soft bodies do?

user added image

# 19 16-09-2007 , 02:23 PM
I found out how to convert nurbs to polys so thats out of the way

here are some more updates, I have made the sails now and added wood texture to the hull

does anyone know how to make the sails look more real?

user added image

user added image

# 20 16-09-2007 , 04:39 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by Monkey Wrench
does anyone know how to make the sails look more real?

You could turn them into cloth.
user added image