Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 11-07-2003 , 10:36 PM

My computer crashed!

Ok, just so you all know, this is regular Darkware speaking here. I was forced to create a different account name because I don't believe subscribers are allowed to log in from different ISP's. Correct me if I'm wrong on this.

Here's what happened. I was clicking around in C:/>Windows>Temporary Internet Files. There were millions (not exagerating either) of files in this directory. Apparently, Window ME stores these files not only under the temp internet files in Internet Explorer, but in this directory as well. Every cookie from every website I had ever been to was in here I believe, so it was massive in size. This probably explains why my computer was only running at 67% system resources beforehand.

Anyway, I was clicking around and I get an error that says Internet Explorer cannot be (re) booted. Immediately after, I get another error saying I must reinstall Windows. Everything goes black and I go into dos if I remember correctly.

Gateway apparently does not give you a Windows install CD with your purchase of their computer, so I have no way to reinstall Windows. Luckily, I had all my Word Documents, audio files, and other important programs and files either backed up on CD's or on my other computer. There is only one file which is a txt file that I failed to back up. I'll talk about that in a second though.....

Here's the big question: Where can I obtain a Windows Install CD? Will it be free since I tehnically already bought it with the computer? Will I be able to access all my previous files or will everything be deleted?

Now, about this txt file..... I can navigate my computer through dos, but I don't know how to. I believe all my files are still present on my C drive because when I type dir it shows things like the al folder, programs files, etc. Is there any way to access the txt file on my desktop and copy it to a floppy? I spent two and a half hours typing out ASCII art in it, and would really like to get it back if at all possible by tonight.

Thanks for any help you all can give me because I'm a fish out of water on these type things.

# 2 11-07-2003 , 10:46 PM
Hey, if you log on as Darkware from a different ISP, you´re still the same guy in the database. So you can log on as a suscriber, you´ll get the cookie and everything ok. Or so I believe, I´ll let an admin clear that one for you.

As per the computer, damn .. that sucks mate. You can try calling Gateway. If it´s still in guarantee, they should help you out.
-rather pointless reply, sorry-

# 3 11-07-2003 , 10:57 PM
Yes call Gateway because they should have at least included an Emergency System Restore disk (or something along those lines) which basically has Windows along with all the proprietary software pre-packaged systems love to include. At least Compaq gave one of those silly things with their system instead of a real Windows disk user added image Or use this as the perfect opportunity to load up Linux user added image

As for the .txt file, if you know where you saved it to, it should still be there. Get to the folder the file is in then copy it over (to navigate from folder to folder, use the cd command). The DOS command for transferring to a floppy would be:
Copy name_of_file.txt A:\
You don't have to specify the file name after the A:\ unless you want to change it. Sorry if this is too basic user added image

# 4 11-07-2003 , 10:57 PM

Re: My computer crashed!

Originally posted by DarkwareX
Apparently, Window ME ...

Theres your problem user added image Windows ME is a terrible OS. I rather use windows 95 than ME.

MSN: cyborg_corporation@hotmail.com
AIM: RavagingOrc
# 5 11-07-2003 , 10:59 PM
When I have problems, (reformating and stuff), I take my harddrive out and put it in my other comp as a secondary drive, and back everything up. You should be able to retrieve all your old files this way, that is if you have access to another comp.
Also, this might void your warranty.(don't know about gateway), and might be overkill for getting one file
hope that helps

________

- Jacob
# 6 11-07-2003 , 11:05 PM
dos commands you may need:

cd (change directory) e.g. cd myFolder will move to that directory assuming it exists in the current directory

cd.. go up a level

copy (follow natalia's instructions)

dir/w lets you see what's in a directory

[aFolder] denotes a folder

hope that helps, and at least you backed up all your important stuff, I didnt and my 40 gig drive died. But then I found an ancient backup so it aint all bad user added image

And as far as logging in you can log in anywhere on any ISP I switch between uni and home all the time. You will just get a new cookie on the new machine.

good luck and post again if you need help with the dos stuff.

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 7 11-07-2003 , 11:31 PM
ok, I tried copying it, but I get a "general copy error." The file is named WarioWorld and it's a txt file, but when I type dir C:\Windows\Desktop it shows it as WARIOW~1.TXT I have tried typing

copy C:\Windows\Desktop\WARIOW~1.TXT A:\

but it doesn't work. I get the error doing that. I've tried useing the real file name as well, but it says it can't find the file.

Any ideas?user added image

# 8 12-07-2003 , 12:02 AM
I'm not a dos man, but i'm 90% sure its something with that ~1. My friend lost 20 gigs worth of mp3s and he went into dos to get them back but they were all saved as something~1.mp3 or something like that so he had to manually go through all of them (20 gigs worth) and rename them. user added image so i guess try renaming it

MSN: cyborg_corporation@hotmail.com
AIM: RavagingOrc
# 9 12-07-2003 , 12:13 AM
yeah dos can only handle short filenames e.g. it truncates anything longer than 8 chars.

if you are in the folder you only need to type:

copy WARIOW~1.TXT a:\

and that should do it

Alan

IMDB
# 10 12-07-2003 , 12:17 AM
No, I've tried copying files on this computer (the one that's still working obviously) and it also lists the files with `1. I'm guessing it's because DOS likes to use abrieviations.

I still don't know what the problem is.

# 11 12-07-2003 , 12:19 AM
Not because it likes to use abreviations, but because DOS filenames where composed of 8 characters and the 3 of the file format.
Not sure how to fix your problem, but ...

.. you can log on as DarkWare already. user added image

# 12 12-07-2003 , 12:20 AM
I can't do that Pure_Morning. Already tried. Shouldn't it work if I just type copy C:\Windows\Desktop\WARIOW~1.TXT A:\ ???

# 13 12-07-2003 , 12:21 AM
are you in the desktop folder?

and yeah you're right it should work but a> it's dos b> it's windows ME and c> it's made by microsoft!!

user added image

Alan

IMDB
# 14 12-07-2003 , 12:23 AM
Throw it away man .. and, run naked on the beach! :p

Trying to help out with a humourous note.

# 15 12-07-2003 , 12:28 AM
lol scary thought .. me, adl & darkware running naked on a beach...... :0

user added image

edit.... dodgy dodgy moderator editing going on here user added image :p

IMDB

Last edited by Alan; 12-07-2003 at 01:06 AM.