Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 21-11-2014 , 10:35 PM

Insert edge loop or use crease tool?

Hi,

I've been modelling a while now but I have a question that I've been investigating for a while now, when hard surface modelling is it better to use edge loops to tighten corners and such or use the crease tool?

Take for example the images shown ( A & B), I'm making a monitor for a machine and although quite basic in design, the edge loops are piling up when tightening up corners for buttons and such.

I've always tended to stay away from creasing edges but then when I see wire frames for many models such as the Iron Man pictured ( C & D ) for example and it makes me wonder.

I know they may of used Zremesher in Zbrush or Topogun or other retopology tools to achieve this but still looks really clean for having no edge loops tightening the edges of the armour.

Are tight edge loops that important or is everyone just using zbrush and such for hard surface now?

Any input would be grateful...

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails

Ever Try, Ever Fail, No Matter. Try Again, Fail Again, Fail Better.
# 2 22-11-2014 , 12:58 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Mendosa

good questions!! Hopefully I can help you out with some food for thought...

I would say to you to go with the edge loop method. The crease tool is good but right now its one of those things that a few companies are trying to implement into a production pipeline , this is in order to cut down on having to use edge loops. The issue with creasing is that the history of the crease isnt kept if you have to get an obj of the object or model in question, it gets dropped on export.

So in this instant its fair to say stick with the edge loop method. Practice how you loop because you can learn how to minimise loops. For example you may only want to 'sharpen up one or two edges but the loop will go around the model when its not needed in other areas, so learn how to terminate edges, ie: kiting. when the edges create a kite shape and you delete the unwanted edge in the middle. These are ideal for hardsurface as its not necessarily a deforming surface per say.

The Iron man model is clearly a very clean and well modelled mesh, Its loops are there and have been utilised very well. Its always good to keep you meshes as light as possible and add detail where you need it. But at the same time keeping everything optimised across the board for good uvs and textures and also to look good in the renders with having a lo res look (if thats whats needed)

Alot of the time , especially these days, Zbrush is used for concepting so the meshes are going to be super high and arent going to be at all useable for much. Alot of the time we do remesh but now with the model toolkit in maya its easier than using the remesher in zbrush because the result is dictated by you and not an algorythm that may give you some weirdness in your mesh. So dont rely on remeshing alone. It has good and bad points. By all means use it to maybe get a cleaner mesh, but be aware it wont be spot on, it wont give you a perfect, production ready mesh out of the box, it will get you a certain way, but chances are you will still need to go in and give it a tickle.

I hope this helps you out a little. If you have any more queries please feel free to ask

cheers
Jay

# 3 22-11-2014 , 10:41 PM
Thanks for the coprehensive response Jay, yeah I can understand what you mean about zremesher, I still have to get used to the Maya re-topologising tools, usually use Topogun myself. I will continue to use edge looping so, as I export most models I make and college and stuff. So I'm assuming its safe to say that Iron Man mesh has been re-topologised to be as clean as it is..

# 4 22-11-2014 , 10:55 PM
It may well have been built cleanly in the first place...

cheers
Jay

# 5 23-11-2014 , 02:30 AM
Daym Jay, you so wise, also digging your artwork big time, thanks for the help

# 6 06-12-2014 , 03:10 PM
I use bevel for edges, in some cases i insert edge loops twice beside an edge, ive tried creasing, but i find it hard to preview it as the edges get kinda "dark" when you smooth it, and i can have more control of the topology with when edges are bevel'd, instead of having "hidden" topology by creasing. thats just my opinion though

dude nice model btw! user added image

20 year old guy from Sweden

Big Bob Marley fan
Love skateboarding
Maya, Mudbox and Photoshop user

Full name: Marcus Ralman

https://www.facebook.com/MarcusRalman3D

^ My facebook page ^
# 7 09-12-2014 , 02:04 PM
Subscriber
does anyone know of any tutorials on kiting - i googled '3d modeling techniques kiting' but no luck - its exactly what I also need to learn.
nicky.

# 8 09-12-2014 , 02:09 PM
If you look on the ironman image theres a 'kited' poly a couple of polys over from the disc in the chest, Its basical a quad thats been made to adapt to a corner or rotated for better edge flow and adjusted, so it can end up looking like a kite.