Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 01-02-2012 , 12:57 PM
And thanks for the tip of holding shift and the > key to expand selection, that's a good one to know.

# 17 01-02-2012 , 01:18 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Also if its all combined and you dont want to separate it all etc, simply select a component from the piece you want and go to select > grow selection region unitl the piece is selected then you can move stuff around that way too

Jay

# 18 01-02-2012 , 01:21 PM
-Switch to face mode.
-Double click on the face of the shell you want.

# 19 01-02-2012 , 01:24 PM
EduSciVis-er
I was going to offer the "double click on a face" as well, but I don't know if that will select discontiguous (?) faces if you haven't separated out the mesh yet.

# 20 01-02-2012 , 01:26 PM
EduSciVis-er
Had to try it... Hey, it works! Double clicking on a face will select all contiguous faces. So you can extract from there, if for whatever reason you want to separate out pieces individually.

# 21 01-02-2012 , 01:49 PM
Personnaly, I like to use selection constraints, because it's faster.
I made a shortcut to switch from shell constraint on and off.
#ON
polySelectConstraint -bo false -sh true -cr false;
#OFF
polySelectConstraint -bo false -sh false -cr false;

If anybody feels like making a toggle of that in mel I'd be gratefull!

# 22 01-02-2012 , 02:36 PM
Very cool. double click on a face, connected mesh is all selected and then extract and it becomes it's own object inside of the hierarchy. I just tried it and that's what happens. These are the sort of operations I would be using all the time. Again thanks, this is way helpful.