Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 09-12-2004 , 03:38 AM
Subscriber

GeForce FX 5700 Vs. Radeon 9600 SE

I was just taking a look at these two video cards... and what I thought was that the GeForce would be better for rendering, what im noticing is that it is not compatible with maya!!! is there any way to hack or fix it?

or should I just swallow my pride and switch back on over to Ati? (7 months Ill be picking a highend card maybe a Matrox cg 2000 or wildcat realism 100 or 200)

Pretzels and Beer
Pizza Pockets and Computer programers
Shortcuts and 3D artists

May we always be together.
# 2 10-12-2004 , 03:28 AM

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 10-12-2004 , 04:26 AM
Subscriber
I went and baught both the video cards just to find out and here were my results:

In Windows XP with Maya 6.0 all GeForce series cards are no longer compatible, not even capable of hardware renders!

Radeon card series, I went as far as a 9200 SE to 9800 pro are all compatible and have overlay, hardware render does work on the newer cards (i now have 9600 SE in) (9800 was not mine, dont sell them in my town waiting for 6 months....)
I beleive they are compatible up to 8800 mobilities radeon series.

all workstation class cards are compatible, such as the Nvidia Quadro series etc....

also ati rage mobility has similar problems as GeForce

when I say not compatible it runs Maya 6.0, yet you lose some things like arrows, screen names etc, here an non working screenshot example (circling errors such as no names, missing axes etc...)

Attached Thumbnails

Pretzels and Beer
Shortcuts and 3D artists

# 4 10-12-2004 , 04:33 AM
Lifetime Member
hi , I don't know what you are doing with your cards but I have had 2 g-force cards and I am currently using a G-force 9500fx and I have had no issues at all with missing names,arrows ect.
I Know Alias says they are not compatable but if you have the right driver they work fine.

# 5 10-12-2004 , 04:53 AM
Subscriber
im using all most recent drivers and Windows XP and Maya 6.0.1

the rage and rage mobility were tested on laptop
GeForce etc... all drivers etc. were all the newest It might be a strange combination of my Motherboard-processor-chipset in general, but for me, ill be sticking with Radeon for now user added image

I also beleive that the company that manufactures the card affects it eg: ASUS, Nvidia, Ati , leadtek (and there are many more)

Pretzels and Beer
Shortcuts and 3D artists

Last edited by 13uRneR; 10-12-2004 at 05:02 AM.
# 6 10-12-2004 , 02:56 PM
Lifetime Member
You might well be right about the manufacturer of the card, just for the record both of mine are Leadtek with nvidia chips if this info helps anyone.

# 7 10-12-2004 , 03:13 PM
Subscriber
What version of Windows/Maya are you using right now?

Pretzels and Beer
Shortcuts and 3D artists

# 8 10-12-2004 , 11:38 PM
Lifetime Member
I am using Maya 6.0 and windows xp pro.

I also used Maya 5.01 and 6.01 all on windows XP pro.

# 9 11-12-2004 , 12:36 AM
Subscriber
then it probably is manufacture based and depends on drivers and mother board chipsets....etc....

Pretzels and Beer
Shortcuts and 3D artists