Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 07-11-2007 , 09:26 PM

Rigid/Smooth Bind

Hello mates! Another one from me..
Here's the deal:
I did a tutorial were an organic(humanoid) model uses a smooth bind for skinning;
Now I've created a robot and asked myself if rigid bind is more apropriate for this kind of model but since I have no idea what it does and only used the smooth bind on the tut, i'm kind of scared using it.
The bottom line: What's the difference betwen rigid/smooth bind. (is it how it affects the weights on the geometry?)

Thanks in advance!

!
# 2 07-11-2007 , 09:35 PM
Subscriber
Basically the difference between the two is that a rigid bind means the mesh/skin is only effected by one joint. In the case of your robot, rigid binding may be the way to go as you probably only want limited mesh movement.

CHris

# 3 07-11-2007 , 09:40 PM
yup! limited mesh movement that's what I want!:blush:

Thanks alot for the quick reply!
Cheers!

!