Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 30-06-2008 , 12:24 PM

Command Line Render for Maya Mac OSX

Maya Newbie here. Does anyone ever do command line rendering on Maya 2008 using a Mac and OSX? I can get all the codes entered in the Terminal but it won't recognize "render" and I can't figure out where to find the render application or how to apply it to get the computer to understand the code.

# 2 01-07-2008 , 09:34 PM
I don't use OS X but I have some experience with the bash shell (aka Terminal in Macspeak). I think the reason why it can't find the render application is becuase the path of the binary is not set in the shell configuration file. If you were to post the codes you entered into the shell, I might be able to help.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 3 01-07-2008 , 11:04 PM

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 4 02-07-2008 , 06:38 AM
Thank you both. I believe the issue is that I have to teach my computer what "render" is. If I do render -r mr -help in the terminal it brings up all the commands except render.

To answer architect:

I type in: cd /Volumes
then: cd /Users/administrator/Projects/360_Bug/scenes render -r mr -s 1 -e 170 -v 5 LR2_C01_360Bug_v004.mb

when I hit enter it says: -bash: render: command not found

A friend of mine who does do command line rendering from a Mac has been buried under work and could only find time to say this cryptic message:

"You need to tell the mac what "render" is. It is located at /Applications/Autodesk/Maya2008/
then you need to find the actual maya application
open it's package up
find the directory called bin or something
then inside you should see something called render
you will want to shortcut to this application on your desktop
you can then drag and drop the shortcut to the terminal
in leu of typing render. . ."

When I did this I found a folder labeled devKit/ bin but no file with the word render in it but I did find a bunch of files in devkit/plug-ins with over 30 files that say render and all .xpm files. I'm still working my way down the list to see if any might work.

# 5 02-07-2008 , 07:44 AM
The Dev kits for developing plug in's for maya and creates the libraries for visual studio (which I think's windows only)

Wonder why you have to tell a mac where it is, bit silly.

# 6 04-07-2008 , 06:03 AM
The problem is that "render" is not a native bash command and there are no programs in the directory called render.

The solution is to find the ".bash_profile" file or the Mac OS X equivalent of this file (I use Linux, so I can't help with what its called) and add this line:

alias render='PATH'

PATH is where the binary for the renderer is. Sorry I can't help with the path, but I only have Maya 6.5 and its on a Windows computer.

When this works, bash would know that render is just an alias for eg. /usr/maya/bin/render.bin

Hope this helps! user added image

# 7 04-07-2008 , 06:21 AM
Architect. Using linux but running maya with windows, oohhhh how could you! Isnt that blasphemy in the linux world??? LOL, Joking.

# 8 04-07-2008 , 06:25 AM

Originally posted by gster123
Architect. Using linux but running maya with windows, oohhhh how could you! Isnt that blasphemy in the linux world??? LOL, Joking.

LOL! What can I say?

I use MSN too! user added image

# 9 04-07-2008 , 06:30 AM
LOL!

No Microsoft bashing from you then! haha!

# 10 05-07-2008 , 04:15 AM
Well I appreciate you not bashing my choice to use the Mac, as well. =)

So the latest is that I did finally find the Render file that needs to be used but still waiting on my friend for the final steps of this process.

Applications/Autodesk/maya2008/Maya.app/Contents/bin/Render

Apparently you only need to have the file as an alias on your desktop and then drag and drop into the terminal shell when you set up the command line. Being completely new to any sort of coding I'm clueless how to finish this up and so have to wait patiently.

Once I have the final steps I'll post on here the entire process in case anyone else has this problem and needs to know.

Thanks again for all your help!

# 11 07-07-2008 , 01:08 PM

Command Line Rendering For Mac OSX

I finally figured it out. Here is the code in case anyone else who's new to this world and working on Mac OSX needs help.

To get the Command Line to Render in the Terminal Shell:

/Applications/Autodesk/maya2008/Maya.app/Contents/bin/Render <render instruction flag><path folder><file name>

example:
/Applications/Autodesk/maya2008/Maya.app/Contents/bin/Render -r mr -s 1 -e 10 -proj /Users/administrator/Jobs/Projects/XXX/360_Bug /Users/administrator/Jobs/Projects/XXX/360_Bug/scenes/LR2_C01_360Bug_vs_v007_test.mb

Also, if you need to get the Maya file Render app follow these instructions:

Go to Applications/Autodesk/Maya2008
Mouse Right on the Maya Application Icon and a drop down menu pops up.
Highlight "Show Package Content"
"Render" is the app
You can Mouse Middle that into your Terminal and you will get:
/Applications/Autodesk/maya2008/Maya.app/Contents/bin/Render