Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 03-05-2004 , 07:50 PM
Subscriber

Trying a humanoid + hands question

Hey, guys.

I have now come to the point when I want to give modeling a humanoid a serious try. The only organic I've tried before was a fish, and truth be told, that didn't work out well.

Of the humanoid, this is what I have so far:

user added image
Front-ish

user added image
Back-ish

If you get any thoughts on how to improve on the above, please share. Don't mind my feelings user added image

I was in such a hurry when starting out that I didn't bother with any image planes, or references of any kind. That turned out to cause some smaller sorts of inconveniences; nothing major, but small albeit annoying things.

As it is, I have only some very basic knowledge of Maya, and its tools, but I believe the best thing to do is modeling the hands, and the head, separately. Unfortunately as of yet I have no idea how to attach those once they are modeled.. but I'm sure I'll figure that out eventually.

My hands-related question, though, is this: When modeling the hands separately, what should I keep in mind? Should I worry about the hand matching up with the end of the arm perfectly, or can there be discrepancies? I suppose this question applies to to the head, as well.

Anyways. So far I'm having plenty of fun. A lot of people apparently start out with a single box (box-modeling?); I tried that, and it was mad difficult. Building from a single polygon plane was the solution for me.

# 2 03-05-2004 , 08:00 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hi Kyraal

Well seem as though you have not used any reference its pretty good, BUT you must get some, or your models will not look how they should ie; proportionally etc. As far as modelling hands and head separately, yes its propably best and also the feet.

Personally I dont worry about stuff not matching straight away if modelling separates because the beauty of it is you can go right in and edit it , thats one of the great things about modelling in 3d, you know delete this add that split that......

the main thing is to enjoy it !!!

Jango

# 3 03-05-2004 , 08:04 PM
Subscriber
This looks nice for a start! There are a view thinks that needs to be handeled... his (let me put it nicely) 'behind' for example... let us see it smoothed if that is what your goal is...
as for the hand/head question.....I don't know... I've been trying to model a body but sofar Im having problems with it so no advice from me for that part....
again nice start and let us see some more! user added image

# 4 03-05-2004 , 09:00 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the replies. I'll get right on the hands, then, without thinking too much on stitching them on - although I do like to plan ahead, so I'll have the least possible hassle later user added image

The behind, yeah, well.. smoothed there's this ridge sticking out a bit, making it a bit pointy:

user added image

I haven't merged the two halves yet, so I'm guessing that will solve that problem. There's no butt-crack, though, which suits me fine as he's basically wearing rather tight pants.

Basically I'm planning on slapping some pieces of armor onto him, across his torso, upper arms, thighs, and shins.

# 5 03-05-2004 , 09:14 PM
Subscriber
good start on the first pictures.

You can get alot more definition on the body with just those edges.

i think you might have smoothed too early in the process. try getting your definitions with as few faces as possible. Unless its just for a quick preview user added image

The "butt crack" will be there to some extent.. especially with tight pants.

best advice for now.. check out som reference of people user added image

looking forward to see more!

Kim Rotbøl-Larsen

www.rotbol.dk
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 W.I.P
# 6 03-05-2004 , 09:54 PM
For your hand problem best solution is free tutorial in video training section on this site!!! I dloaded it and here is what i have modeled (btw my modeling skilss was wery low at that moment),

Attached Thumbnails

Best resolt would come, if every one in the group are doing what is best for himself and the group!!

Sorry for bad English, See ya
dead mosquito-blog-on english too