Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 05-10-2004 , 03:21 AM

T-rex Animation

I'm new to this forum, so I thought I'd post somthing I recently animated and say hi to everyone. The model and rig where done about a year ago, but I recently updated the foot rig and created this animation to test it all out as well as show the muscle system hidden under the skin.

https://www.freelance-animation.com/n...xWalk_mov.html

(This page should be in frames but because of the direct link they will be missing)

All crits are welcome.

Thanks,

Richard

----------------------------------------------
Richard Cheek
https://www.freelance-animation.com
# 2 05-10-2004 , 03:52 AM
whats a muscle rig?

# 3 05-10-2004 , 04:10 AM
A muscle rig is a rig that has muscles under the skin to make deformation look a lot more realistic. As he moves the muscles are controlled by SKD's and expand and contract pushing and pulling the skin on the outside.

I plan to add muscle jiggle soon to add a little more realism to the character. Muscles are very bouncy and a creature this size would probably have a lot of jiggle while stomping around.

Richard Cheek
# 4 05-10-2004 , 04:31 AM
wow, sounds complex, well i think it looks really cool and realistic!

# 5 05-10-2004 , 04:53 AM
WOW!

This is exactly what I want to do to my T-Rex I'm currently working on... Could you link me to some tutorials on how you setup the muscle/skeleton rig? (If it's a book, please give the name. ;D)

Also, what resources did you use for the anatomy and shape of the Rex?

"The first rule in government spending: 'Why build one when you can have two at twice the price?'" - From the movie 'Contact'.
# 6 05-10-2004 , 03:10 PM
Man this is simply amazing stuff. I hope once I'm finished with my T-Rex I can do something like that.

Kurt any chance you could teach us how to use muscle rig in the animation DVD for the T-Rex?

# 7 05-10-2004 , 03:16 PM
Exdaix, I don't know of any tutorials that go into skin and muscle deformation, although that doesn't mean they don't exist. The basic approach is to use influence objects as muscles and deform them with SDK's from the joints rotation.
As for reference, I watched a lot of Jurassic park. The third one has a bunch of dinosaur turn tables in the bonus features which show ILM's Trex from the movie which was useful.

Glad you both liked it.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard Cheek
# 8 07-10-2004 , 02:09 AM
I sent in my Amazon.com order for the trilogy of Jurassic Park DVD's last night. user added image

Thanks for the help... I remember looking for T-Rex stuff last year for some other project and I found a site with hundreds of orthographic drawing of T-Rex, as well as other dinos, and other info about them like anatomy too, I hope I can find it again.

"The first rule in government spending: 'Why build one when you can have two at twice the price?'" - From the movie 'Contact'.
# 9 08-10-2004 , 04:34 AM