Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 31 04-12-2006 , 08:35 AM
The Maya Mountain
Ok, we'll wait for the new year before starting another challenge so that the holidays won't get in the way. Thanks for everyone's participation and encouragement! I'll post results for this challenge soon.

# 32 04-12-2006 , 10:04 AM
Subscriber
any chance you can push for the results from the last one aswell - i think we have waited abit too long for them now.

# 33 04-12-2006 , 10:59 AM
Subscriber
Hey there Mike,

If a winner could be announced for the previous comp that would be really cool. I'd like to think that I speak for all who finished that we would just like to hear a result.

If a prize is absolutely necessary I'm sure that the entrants would be happy, in the absence of Dave, to recieve any gesture of good will that is available.

Cheers,

Mat.

# 34 04-12-2006 , 03:00 PM
19 year Veteran
I guess that would depend on what Mike or who ever judges is willing to award the winner; However, it was promised that the Normal entry winner would recieve 400$, and the Newbie winner would recieve 2 simplymaya dvd's of his or hers choice. I think substitute award should be equal to that of what was promised. For example, the Normal entry should recieve something that worth 400$, and the newbie should recieve something thats worth the price of 2 simplymaya dvd's.

It's really up to the powers that be. I don't think we have much say in the matter, but thats my own opinion on it.

# 35 04-12-2006 , 03:45 PM
The Maya Mountain
I can announce a winner for the last challenge, but I can't afford to give out prizes, especially what was originally planned.

This week is very busy for me, unfortunately, with work as well as my own personal life, so I'll announce all the winners as soon as I have a moment to sit down and actually do it.

Sorry for the delay.

# 36 04-12-2006 , 04:06 PM
Gotta love life's little challenges....

Do what you need to do man, we're all artist, we understand the meaning of patience lol.

The Evolution of Gaming: DNA Studios Online

"I have never met a man so ignorant that I could learn nothing from him" -Galileo-
# 37 04-12-2006 , 06:56 PM
Subscriber
to quote the movie inside man

" respect is the most valuable thing there is".

and i think its far to say that mtmckinley has everyones here for keeping this thread alive all by himself. asking us what we want and trying to get it to us. even digging in to his own pockets for prizes

to mtmckinley - man, take your time - we know how busy life can be and don`t worry about you forking out 4 the prizes from the other comp - as u didn`t say you would.

thats up 2 that dave guy. and less face it, this guy is getting no respect from these board members here. i mean come on not even a message saying sorry thats low man. now i don`t know the guy but that would take 2 mins and it seems that he can`t be bothered. all info has had to come though u

we know that mistakes are being made but we know you are all human.

we just want 2 know who won.
we just want some of that respect.

cheers again mtmckinley

# 38 04-12-2006 , 07:34 PM
With you on that tweetytunes.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 39 05-12-2006 , 01:33 AM
Senior Software Developer

Originally posted by tweetytunes
thats up 2 that dave guy. and less face it, this guy is getting no respect from these board members here. i mean come on not even a message saying sorry thats low man. now i don`t know the guy but that would take 2 mins and it seems that he can`t be bothered.

Dave might have a very good reason as to why he's "disappeared". There's a lack of respect, giving him stick when there may be a dramatic situation that has caused his demise from the forums of late.

Again "Big Up" to Mike... I don't come to the challenges to win things, I come to take on the challenge. Sod the prizes...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 40 05-12-2006 , 06:23 AM
19 year Veteran
Yeah, it's not wise to badmouth Dave or show him dissrespect. He's the main reason this site is even running. If you folks want this site to remain online I would suggest giving him more respect and show more patience reguarding things like challenges. There are other maya sites out there if you don't approve of how this one is being ran.

# 41 05-12-2006 , 06:52 AM
Ok, now before this gets too rough..

Be nice to Dave, wait to see the results of the challenge, and wait for the new year on a new challenge user added image

The Evolution of Gaming: DNA Studios Online

"I have never met a man so ignorant that I could learn nothing from him" -Galileo-
# 42 05-12-2006 , 03:25 PM
Subscriber
whooops mouth was opened again.
i`m sorry people r taking my words the wrong way.

now all i`m saying is that this dave has shown us no respect the last couple of weeks while mike has been here every step of the way.

and a direct message to dave in my last reply was

we know that mistakes are being made but we know you are all human.

dave has been seen here checking the forum quite afew times now and yet still no word from him
as i said it would take 2 min to tell us whats going on. repect restored.

problems with site - we would understand
personal problems - more than exceptial
just leaveing us in the dark for nerly 3 months - i feel is wrong.

the way the last challenage was run was my only grip with the site, and my last post was mainly to tell mike not to worry about prices he sould not have to pay 4 and that THX1138 commets about the prizes was wrong even though i see where he is coming from. remember guys out of his own pocket - could u do that

Last edited by tweetytunes; 05-12-2006 at 03:32 PM.
# 43 05-12-2006 , 07:06 PM
19 year Veteran

and that THX1138 commets about the prizes was wrong even though i see where he is coming from

?... My comment about the prizes was wrong? I was only suggesting a substitute for the rewards, not demanding one. No offence, but I don't see anything wrong with my comment.

Anyway, I doubt I got first place. The other entries seem to look better than mine for some reason. user added image

# 44 05-12-2006 , 08:05 PM
Subscriber
I think that people's opinions on the situation are the same, we're just simply using different words, but in the end relaying the same message.

1. The comp has been over for a long time.

2. Yes, no word from Dave. Im sure that Dave is well
aware of the disappointment that all of us share. At
the same time however I do feel that he should have
said something to address the issue over the last 3 months.

3. Mike has truly been exceptional considering the situation. I think that it is very gracious of Mike to
except the sole responsibilities of judging the comp.
However, I do believe that annoucing the winners will only generate more hostility towards the site and Dave.
IE, whoever wins will most certainly claim that they were jipped on their $400. Thus creating a whole new situation.

Yeah, I too would like to know who won the comp, but at the same time I dont. Yes, it will resolve some problems, but may create all new ones.

Cheers to all.

Last edited by papalatistudios; 05-12-2006 at 08:14 PM.
# 45 05-12-2006 , 08:58 PM
Subscriber

However, it was promised that the Normal entry winner would recieve 400$, and the Newbie winner would recieve 2 simplymaya dvd's of his or hers choice. I think substitute award should be equal to that of what was promised.

hay man this comment, to me did not sound like a suggestion. may be you worded it wrong, maybe its me but that sounds like your asking mike to put up a $400 prize out of his pocket and thats way I said what i said about your comment being wrong.

Its not a personal attack against you man its just my thoughts.

when i asked mike about getting the results - thats all I wanted was the resaults - as i know he was not in charge of the prizes from that one.
as i said respeact is due....

Anyway, I doubt I got first place. The other entries seem to look better than mine for some reason.

and man yours looked quite good. It had the tank in it. I liked that one user added image