Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 07-07-2009 , 07:28 PM

smooth skins/component editor problem

Hello,

I want to weight some vertices of my model after binding the rig. Well I do this in the component editor in the smooth skins tab. Some of you guys know what I mean. The Problem is that when I use the slider (which determines the value between 0 and 1) it snaps to 1 or to 0 again. I cannot have an value of for example 0.43. The vertices of the model are snapping. And.... this warning appears:

Warning: Some weights could not be set to the specified value. The weight total would have exceeded 1.0.

What does that mean? How can I fix it?

THX

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 07-07-2009 , 08:05 PM
Subscriber
the warning means what it says

the total weight for the vertex will not be a whole number

you vertex is being influenced by two bones and each bone gives a weight on the vertex, the way soft skinning works is that movement of the vertex depends on the weight assigned to the influencing bones

so for example you can have the weight be 0.43 on one bone (one column in that table) and the other bone would have to be 0.57, and they total 1

i've never used what you're doing to adjust weights so im not sure how to change the values in both columns at once (although i thought it was automatic? obviously not)
i always just used the paint weights tool

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D