Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 31-07-2009 , 02:12 AM

game modeling with maya

hey there. i am starting a new project where i wanna build my own little 3d game. and this looks like the place where i can get some answers.

is maya a good software for 3d game modeling?
can i integrate my models and finnished works to game graphics? (convert objects to direct X files or something like that)

im a huge newbie and i just started not long ago and basicly i wanna know how do i actualy use maya for gaming and such.

thanks alot for any helpful comment in advance :)

# 2 31-07-2009 , 04:33 AM
Subscriber

Re: game modeling with maya

*grumble grumble* stupid macs and lack of drag copy

anywhooooo

Originally posted by menkes
is maya a good software for 3d game modeling?

I would say yes... considering it's used in a lot of games. I've seen it been used in God of War, Assasin's Creed, Heavenly Sword, Infamous, and i'm going to guess it's been used in the forum's game environment veteran mtmckinley's games (like toomb raider and saw)

Originally posted by menkes
can i integrate my models and finnished works to game graphics? (convert objects to direct X files or something like that)

yes, but directX no longer makes plug-ins to port from maya to directx

instead you can just use the fbx type

but... essentially it all depends on the game engine you're using.
equally as good is XSI, they even have a free lite version made specifically for hobbyists (i assume you're not doing commercial) who want to make things for game engines like XNA and Source (although there have been some games made commerically via such engines)

there is a lot more to be said, and undoubtedly some of the others will tell you more user added image

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 01-08-2009 , 01:18 AM
thanks alot for the info user added image i was worried about building my experience in maya only to find out my effort in building characters was in vein. im using the book: "Game Character Development with Maya" and now that i know i will be able to integrate my creations with a game engine i will start working even harder user added image