Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 06-10-2011 , 03:00 AM

My first MAYA set/scene

I have to upgrade my graphics card in order to do final gather. This is lit in Maya Software.
But still, for my first project, I was really happy with it.

First image is as close to I got at final.

I've included the second image I was working with without smooth shade or allot of the beveling and the original light wells (as well as allot of the floor lights not yet turned on) which I changed along with the final floor pedestal lights (as seen in image 1). My computer fried and lost with the hard drive was all this MAYA stuff. So I was never able to finish the project unfortunately.

So now it's on to MAYA 2012 and starting from square one.

user added image

user added image

Last edited by TravisCowsill; 06-10-2011 at 12:18 PM.
# 2 06-10-2011 , 07:12 AM
Good looking. Surprisingly it is rendered in Software...at the first look could have sworn that this is Mray. Good Luck for the restart!

# 3 06-10-2011 , 07:56 AM
Lifetime Member
Yep Im with Duke...nice lighting in the first image man...

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 06-10-2011 , 12:07 PM
Thank you guys.

I spent allot of time on that lighting. I think there were (at last guess now without the file anymore) about 30 pin lights, ambient light, the effects lights and like a dozen spots. The room was 90 feet long. And I didn't know about the sun function (missed that in class) so I had created a star with a pinlight in center and a directional for the radiation casting off the gas giant outside.

I also didn't know about composting, lol. I built a scale planet and all that outside to get the shot. My instructor was like, "dude, no wonder you're always getting fatal errors and crashing". Great learning experience though.

It (lighting) was surprisingly the thing I most enjoyed when I started Maya even over the modeling. So those comments from experienced artists like yourselves mean a great deal.

Thanks again.

Travis

# 5 06-10-2011 , 12:21 PM
Super Moderator
I would have guessed this was Mental Ray as well and definitely a very sexy render for a first, it has a 'Star Warsy' quality.

Also, final gather is more processor intensive than graphic card, so if cranking out FG renders is slow (with appropriate settings) then you could look at a CPU upgrade, if MR is aborting and giving you system instability errors then it's most likely you're running out of RAM.

- Genny
# 6 06-10-2011 , 03:14 PM
Thanks for the nice comment Gect. Humbled man. I have such a love for this program that that sort of statement goes a long way in making me feel like I'm not crazy for dumping my old career and devoting myself to MAYA, and that I have what it takes to beat it.

Secondly, that last bit really gave me some useful information. Because that was exactly what was happening.

Cheers all. So great to be here.