Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 31-05-2013 , 06:06 AM

Texture black hole

Hi,

I am using maya 2013. I have created a 500000 polygon model. Since it's creation, extensive tweaking of the geometry has been done. I have cut holes in it with booleans and projected curves. I have literally been inside and outside and all over this model. The model is covered by a substance creator procedural texture.

After one tweak, I saw that there is some overlapping geometry that is now showing up badly, I used the sculpting tool's smoothing to unfold the geometry beautifully. The I saw that there is now a flaw in the texture. I went to the uv layout and used relax to unfold the overlapping uv's. The flaw remains. I checked surface normals, they are all consistent, and flipping those few make no difference. There simply is a black hole in the texture

Every time I altered the model, I expected problems, and none appeared. This tweak was one of the mildest, and this flaw is revealed. The problem makes no sense. Surely as long as all my uv's are on the 0-1 grid, all my normals point out, a procedural texture should cover everything.

# 2 31-05-2013 , 08:30 AM
The thin red line
Select those face that are the problem and reproject the UVs, if that does not work post a picture of the textured bad patch and wire.........dave