Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 02-03-2005 , 08:02 PM
Subscriber

need opinion on chair

Hi there all,
I like to know, is it me or does this chair look somewhat not proptional? If so, then which part should be changed and whcih way should it be scaled.

BTW... I know this isn't much to see for it to be a WIP, though I have hidden the kitchen and table for a moment so that we could just focus on the chair. Afterwards I will post my WIP kitchen.

Attached Images
# 2 02-03-2005 , 08:09 PM
it looks slightly unproportional, i think i may scan in an anthropometric data sheet for people, its really usefull when looking at proportions of things that characters would interact with.

The back of the chair looks a little too short and the chair leg geometry looks slightly strange & out of proportion as well, try altering the hight of the chair back and see if that throws the proportions back in the right direction.

# 3 03-03-2005 , 12:02 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by LauriePriest
... The back of the chair looks a little too short and the chair leg geometry looks slightly strange & out of proportion as well, try altering the hight of the chair back and see if that throws the proportions back in the right direction.

Hey thanks,
Also after you had post it came to mind that the legs and the back of the chair are suppose to be on an angle.

I re-did the legs, and gave it more of carved look, slightly angled them as well as with the back of the chair, and it seemed to look like that both the seat and the back of the chair needed to be rescaled.

Hows this for looks...

Attached Images
# 4 04-03-2005 , 05:48 AM
Subscriber

updated WIP

Hi. With the chair completed, I am now tring a couple other things. Here are a couple pics of my Kitchen so far. As of right now, I haven't textured the room as of yet. Though before I do, and since I aready know how to texture, I wanted your opinion on what type of light would you use descibed in the pics down below.

If you look at fig 1, I have circled the object that I am pointing as the type of light fixture I am using one area of my kitchen. Fig 2 describes the area of how much I want the light fixture to light up. Basically what I mean by this, is basically I am looking for the light fixture to light up the area around the cabinets and the not so detailed stove. (the oven is that box that has not been sculptured into an oven as of yet)

Recently I had asked about lighting accuracy and got an excellent explaination that in real life, light bounces off objects which gives you the results of why you see the light reflect off walls and other objects that are in its path. However in Maya you will need to fake this and this is where I am having troubles with right now. So I am asking for your opinion on

1. what type of light, meaning spot or point ect, should I use for this type of light fixture.

2. In addition, I am also looking for any tutorials on this but I don't know which tutorial would help me best getting stared with these kinds of results when everything on the net seems so basic.

Also I didn't want to use mental ray because I will be transfering this project to shockwave.

Attached Thumbnails
# 5 04-03-2005 , 02:49 PM
Subscriber
Hi so far the closet thing I found was this link...
https://www.highend3d.com/maya/tutorials/radiosity/.

Though the problem is I am not even getting the basic start of the tutorial. And of course the person who wrote this tut doesn't show you step by step how did hisa basic setup. All he did was explained that he used a cornell box, with different colored materials, and one spot light.

Though these are the results I got.
Fig1 is a snap shot that is not rendered
Fig2 is rendered with "Maya Sofware"
Fig3 is rendered with "Mental Ray"

here are the pics...

Attached Thumbnails