Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 24-08-2005 , 04:23 PM

network shading

ok here is my question,when i create my own ramp(reflectivity, specular, diffuse...),when its time to connect it to my material, in the connection editor, i dont know where to connect it.there is to much thing i can connect together.if someone could help me.

whats the difference betweene alpha color and out color in the conection editor.
whats Samplerinfo node use for.

user added image

# 2 24-08-2005 , 09:59 PM
Subscriber
Hi there mc-fleury.

When creating your materials, you can't just randomly connect up different things in the connection editor, you make connections depending on what you want your final material to look like. Using the connection editor I would say is one of the more advanced features of the texturing process, if your unsure what you are doing. I would suggest doing some tutorials/using Maya help/looking on the net about all the basics of materials/textures and the hypershade to give you a better understanding (forgive my ignorance if you do already know the basics).

Your questions:

- the alpha controls the transparent areas of your material/texture, and is used for compositing. The out color is the RGB channels of your material/texture.

- the sampler info node is used to sample each point on a surface being shaded, and gives information to the camera about each point. It is often used to give normal information, checking whether the normal is facing to or away from the camera. There is a better explanation in the Maya help files about these utility nodes.

What exactly are you trying to create? Post up a screenshot and I'll see if I can help.

LisaG user added image

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 3 25-08-2005 , 02:09 AM
thanx for reply. i am trying to create a great plastic shader.
here is the wip i did:https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=17981

its not very good for now so i hope you will be able to give me some tips for that bottle.i would like it to really look like the real propel bottle.i dont know if you already see one of these.
i didnt use connection editor for that material as i dont really know how it works lol.

if you have some good tut about connection editor.(for shader)
user added image

# 4 25-08-2005 , 04:29 PM
can you help me. i think i know the basic.(it depend on what is basic for you)now, i need a good tut.i will search on the net.

# 5 25-08-2005 , 08:22 PM
how do you learn how to create shader.

# 6 25-08-2005 , 09:55 PM
come on almost 45 people saw that post and nobody can answer my questions...user added image

# 7 25-08-2005 , 10:32 PM
Digital tutors have plenty of video's about the hypershade including the advanced feature using connection editor. There are a fair few free videos and some advanced one's that are not I would suggest going there or buy a maya rendering book which is where I learn't most about networks.

The best way though is to learn what each properties do I know it's a pain in the arse but will eventually be alot more rewarding especially when producing your own shaders using expressions and texture maps.

# 8 26-08-2005 , 01:56 AM
thanx a lot for reply. i bought advance shading network its a nice tut but it doesnt really help me.i think i am going to buy a book.

# 9 26-08-2005 , 08:18 AM
Subscriber
Hi, sorry for not replying but I'm busy at work and haven't had a chance. I'll try and give you some tips over the weekend on making a plastic material (I'm no expert, but I'll try and help anyway).

LisaG user added image

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 10 26-08-2005 , 03:46 PM
thanx a lotuser added image