Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 07-03-2010 , 10:02 PM
Subscriber
Here is what I mean.

Grey

user added image

Color (textured)

user added image

(got the floor texture on the roof - opps never mind just some tests).

Right got six lights in there so far with GI and I am almost happy with it, but need help on a few things here.

1) Lights - look like spot lights need them to look like a strip not a cone

2) Work out how to make the GI lighter still a little too dark for what I want. I also think the lights themselves look too bright against the wall

# 17 08-03-2010 , 12:35 AM
EduSciVis-er
Use area lights for the strips? And maybe cheat by using just a tad of ambient light? Just some suggestions, but I'm not a pro lighter.

# 18 08-03-2010 , 01:13 AM
Subscriber
looking pretty cool so far. a little dark but it's supposed to be, just hope the character has a little bit of light so that we can see the detail you're putting into this. Keep it up, can't wait to see more progress.

# 19 08-03-2010 , 03:04 PM
Subscriber
as I have already said its too dark but I have sorted that out (GI setting too low and everything changed once I put in all the rest of the lights) but still having problems with getting the tube light effect.

Area lights not working at all - way too bright and seem to very random effects.

I have tried using barn doors on the spot light and that's not working aswell

Is there a way of making an object give off light , just like real life ???

# 20 08-03-2010 , 09:08 PM
Subscriber
Think Im happy with the levels in this one - going any lighter not working so well - again need to sort out the shape of the lights on the wall, and apply the rest of the textures and add (or in some cases build) more props.

user added image

# 21 08-03-2010 , 09:26 PM
Looking great tweety, the only thing I can think of to help with the lighting would be something using surface shaders maybe, not sure if that'd give the effect you'd want though. Maybe used in conjunction with some lights if not.
If that doesn't work then I'm at a loss for ideas, everything I've found on objects emitting light has been surface shaders, or the use of Maxwell in which you can just assign a light emitter to the geo.
Hope it helps, or that you find a better solution soon!

Either way, I'm enjoying watching your progress mate.

# 22 08-03-2010 , 10:05 PM
Subscriber

# 23 09-03-2010 , 12:23 AM
Subscriber
OK now I am confused

I added a bunch of spot lights above a door to square of the light and it worked. Wooh hoo

But when I add the lights above all doors the whole render goes darker - even though I am adding MORE lights.

The new lights do not cast shadows or GI.

There must be a way to get square lights - this is taking the piss

Attached Thumbnails

# 24 13-03-2010 , 04:40 PM
Subscriber
Whooooo Hoooooo

Sorted the lights (The image is a low settings test)
Took hours and hours to get this looking like I wanted it.

Some textures missing still. Need to get rid of the props and set dress it a lot better once everything is done.

Just need to make the rest of the props to fill this place up a little more.

Also need to move the light fixtures to above the light beams

user added image

Here is just a quick camera fly though just to see how it is looking

Yes I know I forgot to turn the bulb on the right off and on even though the light itself is flashing, but it was just a quick test.

Link to video

Please bare in mind nothing here is final yet. Crits welcome

Last edited by tweetytunes; 13-03-2010 at 04:46 PM.
# 25 13-03-2010 , 05:39 PM
Subscriber
Here are some downsized textures for Set 1

user added image

user added image

# 26 27-03-2010 , 01:34 PM
Subscriber
Well I missed the end of the Avatar Challenage (god dame it) and not alot of work has been done on this the last two weeks but I have a good resean

I Got Engaged

Had to take some time out to tell the family and look at some new houses and stuff but I`m getting back to work this week I promise.

Anyone know the best way to render out a moving dust layer - I what the corridor to look as if there is alot of dust in the air but have no idea where to start (apart from it will probably involve partials) I think it would add some missing character to the set.

# 27 27-03-2010 , 02:39 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Originally posted by tweetytunes
Well I missed the end of the Avatar Challenage (god dame it) and not alot of work has been done on this the last two weeks but I have a good resean

I Got Engaged

Had to take some time out to tell the family and look at some new houses and stuff but I`m getting back to work this week I promise.

Anyone know the best way to render out a moving dust layer - I what the corridor to look as if there is alot of dust in the air but have no idea where to start (apart from it will probably involve partials) I think it would add some missing character to the set.

I'm not sure how you would simulate the dust , maybe using some volume effects or something.

But just wanted to say congrats on getting engaged!

user added image

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"
# 28 27-03-2010 , 05:40 PM
EduSciVis-er
Congrats!! When's the wedding?

About the dust, maybe have the floor, or ceiling emit particles and a low rate, add a subtle turbulence field, start the shot well into the simulation.

# 29 29-03-2010 , 08:18 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by stwert
Congrats!! When's the wedding?

About the dust, maybe have the floor, or ceiling emit particles and a low rate, add a subtle turbulence field, start the shot well into the simulation.

Not for awhile, we getting a new house together first and we just got a puppy - and that's enough for now.

But that sound like a plan on the dust - thx - it also so very simple which is also great

# 30 19-10-2010 , 02:09 PM
Subscriber
Now that challenge is over and I`m in the mood for some organics I have finally got back to this project and the main character Matt.

I`m getting good at these clean meshes at the mo and here is another example of it so far

user added image

Did make the whole head but I`m slowly deleting the areas you`ll never see due to the suit.

Last edited by tweetytunes; 22-10-2010 at 04:53 PM.