Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 24-11-2014 , 04:40 PM

Offset Xgen Archive animation

I've created a cilia (essentially a little tentacle) that whips back and forth, which I've saved as an animated archive. I then populate a surface with these cilia. They currently are set to animate but they do so simultaneously across the surface. I'd like to offset the animation a frame every few units along the X axis, so that the cilia move in "waves". Is there way to do this, using expressions perhaps?

# 2 24-11-2014 , 06:50 PM
EduSciVis-er
I did a quick search and came across this: https://support.solidangle.com/displ...+a+Texture+Map
What you could try is create a ramp texture that defines your wave motion by animating the ramp positions, and then map that to the xgen animation. I don't know xgen really, so I'm not sure if there's any attribute that defines the start or timing of the archive animation.

# 3 24-11-2014 , 11:59 PM
thanks stwert, I've been trying this. Something about the way I've been writing expressions into the frame field is not working though. I'll keep at it.

# 4 26-11-2014 , 04:05 PM
Okay, I've got the animation offsetting correctly. The link stwert provided works perfectly - my earlier error was due to corrupt archives that weren't importing properly.

So I created a map in the "frame" field of the xgen description, then added an expression. It looks like this:

$a=map('${DESC}/paintmaps/TestFrame');#3dpaint,200.0
$a=20*$a+$frame+1;
$a

This offsets the animation properly. But what if I want the animation to loop - that is, when I get to frame 420 (which is the final frame of animation imported with the archive object) I want the expression to start over at frame 1. As currently written, when it gets to the value 420, it just stops animating.

# 5 26-11-2014 , 04:39 PM
EduSciVis-er
I believe you'll want to use the modulus operator (%) which takes the remainder.
So, you could do 20*$a+(($frame)%420) + 1. On frame 20, the inside part will evaluate as 20, on frame 450, the inside part will evaluate as 30. Hope that works for you.

# 6 01-12-2014 , 08:06 PM
This works great! The (hopefully) last problem I'm struggling with now is that the archive objects that I've brought in don't render like the original. I think its because the shader is a surface shader that combines two different textures and is set to apply them based on UVs. However, when i look at the materialRef that maya creates when you import archive objects, the original object's UVs are not there. Instead there are UVs for a simple unfolded cube. Do you know where the original UVs are or why they aren't imported in?