Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 05-02-2004 , 11:02 PM

Do Maya skills transfer to 3ds max skills?

They're similar programs, right? I'm thinking of maybe working in the games industry, and max is kind of the "standard" in the games industry, so I was wondering if it would be easy to "port" my Maya knowledge to max if I ever needed to. I know they probably have different interfaces and things which would take some getting used to, but besides that, if I know Maya well- would I be able to use max (after learning the interface, etc.)?

PLEASE respond if you have some experience with both programs. Thankyou.

# 2 06-02-2004 , 12:55 AM
Subscriber
If you do good 3d, thin you do good 3d. It doesn’t matter much about the app. All the main 3d apps are just tools. They all have the basic tools also. It should not be a problem. Now how fast you can figure out that color in maya = diffuse in max. (<bad example) That is a personal thing. But I don't think it would take anyone long going from one app to the other since they already know how to use a 3d app in general.

# 3 06-02-2004 , 02:46 AM
The Maya Mountain
I've had just minor "what button does what" issues with Max, but overall, I'm able to use the program without too much difficulty, aside from the spontaneous crashing. user added image

# 4 06-02-2004 , 09:20 PM
Thats a relief! Now I know if I ever have to use Max for something it won't be too much trouble to learn! Thanks!