Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 31-01-2005 , 03:47 PM

Rendering

I seem to have a problem redering my scenes in maya. I have a complex room scene with polygons and nurbs with no textures or materials and i am trying to render with radiosity to get some decent lighting and shading. i am using a 2.6 GHz pentium 4 with a half decent graphics card and 512 ram. the scene take about two days to render. Any idea of what i can do to speed this up and keep the quality.

also, i would like to do the scene in mental ray, but that takes even longer

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 01-02-2005 , 01:34 AM
Subscriber
render smallar images maybe first until you get the right look that you want and keep thoes settings and increase the resolution of the image.
thats all i can think of

VERY nice work btw

# 3 04-02-2005 , 01:24 AM
Subscriber
Yeah, it is great, but I have one question. Is that a 2d picture in the window. I think it might be but just making sure

# 4 04-02-2005 , 09:27 AM
well if you'r ejust doing tests then take down the size of the image, reduce the quality and reduce the number of objects in your scene. If it's only a test it doesn't matter for now. Then when you dod a final render whack it all up and leave it to render. Radiosity is an expensive thing to have to render but what you can do to speed things up is be selective about the objects that receive rays etc. If there is stuff you can get away with not raytracing then dont do it user added image

:bandit:
Alan

Ps You are probably already using mental ray if you are doing radiosity! user added image

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 5 04-02-2005 , 02:00 PM
allways a good idea to set up bsp to make sure the geometry is rendering as fast as it possibly can? Looks like its taking longer than it should, what kinda of set up are you using for the radiosity?

Maybe post your render global settings for the renderer your using.

damn you alan user added image i wanna work for CFC user added image

FX supervisor - double negative
# 6 04-02-2005 , 02:33 PM
:p

user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 7 08-02-2005 , 11:55 AM
I would check the poly count of each object and see if you can bring that down....

the word you used was 'complex', says to me that each object has amazing detail.....kills your render time.....try it....take radiosity out and render the scene again....maybe with a couple lights.

I guess what I am trying to say is render it first with simple settings and add from there to find out what is causing your extreme slowdown.