Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 61 21-04-2005 , 07:39 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Hey Surfer

Nothing like a bit of a good mocking huh!!user added image

Yeah I am thinking about doing various bits and pieces tute wise, but I dont wanna upset anybody here at SM as the guys here do a great job tutorial wise, and I dont wanna get kicked off the site for doing freebies and taking business away ya know. I did have a bit of a chat with Kevin over this a while ago when I mentioned a head tute, so...

But that aside Im always willing to help along with stuff. I have some high res images that are my own that I use to create skin textures and stuff so if you want them I can mail those across to you. Theres a section on my site where stuff is explained and the processes of how I work. Although I dont know if Ive done anything for the texturing forum yet theres a hell of a lot of posts going on there right now so Im trying to keep track and manage those and keep an eye out. That reminds me where are my mods!!
Have you registered there yet by the way?

Laters dude
Jay

# 62 21-04-2005 , 07:43 AM
Subscriber
Looks amazing now and with your keen attention to detail it can only get better. That's not a complaint. It's an encouragement. Love the texturing so far.

Currently working on reclaiming Space
The Salvation Prophecy
# 63 22-04-2005 , 09:09 AM
Subscriber
As I am away for next two weeks, I will not be here to see who wins so good luck bro, I reckon it is between you and Pony.

Daeuser added image

"I THINK, THEREFORE I AM"
René Descartes

www.mvorster.co.uk
# 64 25-04-2005 , 09:37 PM
Hey Jango
I have registered now and that is a pretty good forum you got there and I am very interested in having a perve at your texture files. You site just keeps getting better and better every time I visit blah! I have to fix mine ha ha! Mods! What mods!? Oooo look! There is a cheese burger! (changing subject heh heh).

Hey Alpha! Thanks for the encouragement and your dude has come a long way. I am pleased to see how far you have come with your modelling etc since I was watching the last challenge too. Keep it up!

Dae! I hope your trip away goes well what ever it is for/about (good I hope). Yeah I think pony has a wicked model there for sure. Pony has always been a legend and if you ever want a horse type creature or a concept that is TOTALLY different I believe he is your man.

About my model... Hmmm I have been spending major amounts of time rigging the thing and I still have not completely finished the texturing - Espcially on the new fingers. I have been rigging the model with sliders using the set driven key and so far it has like about 12 sliders bec all of the parts on the arms slot and slide into eachother. Blah! I hope I don't run outta time!! I will try and post some updated piccies tonight and as usual, any comments or suggestions are most welcome.

<font size=3 face=arial color=blue>S U R F E R M C D </font><br>
<font size=2 face=arial color=blue>www.winteractiv.com</font>
# 65 26-04-2005 , 07:18 AM
Hey Surfer

Cool, thanks. I have 2 mods and they are never around when ya need em!! I think I'll ban them now!! LOL

Now about that cheeseburger, make it 2. I'll send the files on later.

_J

# 66 26-04-2005 , 12:28 PM
Hey Jango!
Just get a bounty put on their heads so you can hunt them down and mess them up ha ha!
eh hemmm
Anyway - here are some fingers for the model. Better than before. I am still rigging the model and I really hope I have time to animate him.

https://www.winteractiv.com/robo/fingers.jpg

# 67 26-04-2005 , 12:31 PM
still not a fan of the fingers, I think it has more to do with the fact that there's no way the fingers can pivot back nd forth. It just looks like it wouldn't work (Which doesn't matter I know! but it does user added image) how about some pincer claws or something?

Also get a reflection map on there (doesn't have to be accurate) you just need some reflections to help sell the metal look. It will make you're render really look fantastic user added image

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 68 27-04-2005 , 05:29 AM
Hi Pure Morning
Well you are sure keeping me on my toes there! Thanks taking the time to give your advice and opinion on the model. I am not quite sure what you mean by, “I think it has more to do with the fact that there's no way the fingers can pivot back and forth” and I am open to clarification.
I think the best way to explain how the fingers work is to include one of my working diagrams that I made up using the picture that Jango sent through as a sort of reference.

I think the problem is that the concept calls for the fingers to retract back into the main hand section, which then tucks under the body. I have shown in the diagram the way the fingers retract into the hand section and I have included the joint diagram (which is simplified) to show how the fingers move in both an up and down motion (y plane) and backwards and forwards (z plane) with some lateral movement in the x plane so that the fingers can pull in together. (is this what does not work?)

I admit that it may not be the cleanest concept and if I had another week I would probably investigate a different solution. The fingers and arms have been rigged now and to change at this late stage would probably make me miss the deadline – BLAH!
I would greatly appreciate if you could expand on your crit so that I can get a better idea of what you believe does not work in particular. I will see if I can post a small AVI of the arm and fingers working. (probably a playblast) later tonight.

Hmmm reflection map! Sounds cool! I need to check out on the web to see how to do that believe it or not.
Cheers buddy and thanks again for your opinion!!!

Attached Thumbnails

# 69 27-04-2005 , 08:20 AM
Subscriber
I love your style of technical drawing, surfer. Its great to see quality 2D work as well as 3D work on this site.

As for the model, its fantastic as usual, I guess my only crit is with the fingers too. I just think that they don't look as strong overall as the rest of the machines body, i.e, I don't think they look like they could withstand much punishment. Its still fantastic overall, just something to consider.

Looking forward to the finals!!

LisaG :p

When in doubt......smile!

https://www.x-menthelaststand.com/
# 70 27-04-2005 , 09:13 PM
Hey Lisa! You ROCK!
Thanks for your comments which are much appreciated. It seems that the fingers are not "gelling" with everyone's tastes. I am happy with them but I wish I had time to work the concept a bit more (I like Pure's pincer idea).

Here is the Run down to date... The funny thing is, while I was thinking about it last night, I remembered that the arms unfolding is a secondary action.
The Robot spends the majority of it's time flying with the arms tucked up underneath it (refer to the original concept sketches) - The arms fold out to remove bits of rubbish etc in it's way. The actual chewing gum is not picked up or touched due to it's sticky nature. It is vapourised by a little ionising beam that pulses out from underneath the unit ( i will show detail later.) I thought a low powered pulse from the beam would also discourage birds, cats and other predators that might see the little fella as a meal. As well as a well timed prick from the beam would discourage Hoons and Surfer guys from trying to catch and tamper with it.

Any more comments or suggestions that might help are most welcome.

# 71 28-04-2005 , 07:22 AM
Hey Surfer!!

Well if it helps I like the fingers personally. If theres one thing Ive learnt over the last couple of years its how people perceive something and how much opinions vary. Just remember you cant bow to everyones dislikes or you'd get 'jack' done.

'Opinions are like ***holes- everybody has one', - Clint Eastwood

If its a harsh crit on a model thats not looking right for example a head thats different, but taste and style...

Later bro
_J

# 72 28-04-2005 , 08:24 AM
all I'm saying is that the fingers don't look like the can move as they would need to to do anything useful user added image think about tapping your finger on a desk. The way those fingers are set means that this motion would be very hard. I guess what I mean is that the fingers don't look like thy would work (to me at least)

something along these lines (for movement etc) i feel would work better. And it would be a lot simpler than the fingers. Maybe the fingers just look to human like I don't know, i cna't really explain it more than that.

user added image

Alan

IMDB
# 73 28-04-2005 , 06:37 PM
Hey Pure

Sorry, I didnt mean to sound like I was offending, I was just acknowledging to what Surfer was saying about his stuff wasnt to everyones taste, which can be the case for alot of us, and I just got carried away, with my little soap box rant, its just Ive been burnt severly on occasions with work and am a bit jumpy on the 'I dont like' thing.

Once again apologies to you Pure Morning

Later dude

Jango

# 74 28-04-2005 , 06:42 PM
Doh me again!

Right, time for my 10ps worth.

For me the whole bulkiness and strength of the forearm is complimented by the fingers in a gentle kind of way, theres such a contrast between the two, a kind of 'underestimated power' that lies within the machine. Almost like Doc Oc from Spidey 2, all the power in those tentacles yet still the delicasy to remove his glasses and hat at the end of the day without a scratch!!

Does this sound too much like a wine taster?

Nice

_J

# 75 29-04-2005 , 08:28 AM
i wasn't offended in the first place user added image but now I feel maybe I should be... user added image

user added image

Alan

IMDB