Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 07-01-2007 , 07:09 PM
Subscriber

texturing program question?

I notice that texturing is always done in Photoshop, it is a great program, but I was wondering if you could achieve the same thing in Paint Shop Pro (I haven't even touched the basics of texturing yet)? At the moment I only have a really old version of Photoshop, but I have the newest Paint Shop Pro. I was just curious if it's a must that it needs to be in photoshop or if psp can do it just the same.

# 2 07-01-2007 , 07:54 PM
Subscriber
As long as the paint program supports layers, you'll be fine. You _could_ do it with a program that doesn't, but it would be soo much more time consuming, not to mention essentially uneditable. In so far as it's much, much easier to change a layer or add a new one than it is to redraw part of your raster image.

AFAIK photoshop's always been cool with layers, new releases just add new functions and enhancements to the workflow. An old version would be fine. Can't comment on PSP though, mine's from '98 and it doesn't handle layers.

Just found a FREE program that supports layers, and appears quite similar to PS in the screenshots. May have to give it a go, since my pc went down last nite and I don't have the photoshop disc here. You can find it here, PAINT.NET download page

S.

# 3 08-01-2007 , 07:42 AM
Subscriber
For what it's worth, I've since found a program that suits my needs better. The program I mentioned in a previous post, requires the .NET framework to install and run. Fine if you've gor it already, but if not it's something like another 45Mb for the framework. Given that the program was only 3 or 4 it seemed like a waste.

Today I came across a program called Pixia. It and it's helpfiles come out to under 5MB!! Although a little interesting to get the hang of, it seems to suit me fine.

Something else worthy of mention is the fact that Pixia appears to support Photoshop filters!! Also provided is an SDK for the home-brew development of your own filters.
You can download and find out more about it here.

Simon.

# 4 08-01-2007 , 08:33 AM
Senior Software Developer
An Open Source Application was recommened by 3D world magazine as to a solution to paying for Photoshop. Its called The Gimp.

Heres a link:

https://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/stable.html

Supposed to be very good. Not used it personally, but it was used on the Open Source Animated Short called Elephants Dream. Yes, it was made with entirely free software...

I would recommend a viewing just to see what can be done with entirely free software.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 5 08-01-2007 , 08:56 AM
Gimps a great piece of free software, comparable to photoshop and well worth getting hold of is you havent got Photoshop

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 6 16-01-2007 , 10:46 AM
Subscriber
Hey thanx for that one R@nSid & gster123.

Just downloaded it the other night and I've gotta say that it is really very, very good. Didn't bother with The Gimp Shop, which is somebody's customized version of the Gimp, that looks practically identical to Photoshop, right down to the menu layout etc.

But I did get the one you linked to and it's great to have. To be honest, I'm really not all that fazed about not having my PS disc back yet, may not even bother with it when I do, Gimp is that good. Even supports pressure levels as provided by the wacom family of tablets!!!

The ONLY thing I miss is the polygon selection tool, no big deal at all.

Thank-you Sirs,
Simon.