Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 28-10-2010 , 02:39 PM
Subscriber

Maya 2011 : Vertex selection dismay!

Hello everyone,

Hi dave user added image ( I see what u did there with the glass tutorial btw )

Onto my issue or probably a fumbled key press while my son starts in my right ear...

I have yet to check out all major changes with 2011 but I wanted to jump back in and start doing some interior work.

I was tweaking up a window frame and noticed my vertex selection had gone into some weird hierachy type, or grouped selection syndrome lol.. see pic

Ive tried so far, Reset the whole toolbase and maya itself, altering what I thought seemed to be the problem in the selection preferences config to no avail either. I also tried moving selections with the < > and arrows and all sorts of option one can do with polygon tools...

What the heck have I done here user added image I sit drinking my cup of tea while still pondering and pen clicking, scratching my head.

Thanks...

user added image

Last edited by moosenoodles; 28-10-2010 at 04:31 PM.
# 2 28-10-2010 , 02:43 PM
The thin red line
That looks like soft selection, double click on your move tool on your left should bring up the options on your right untick soft select............dave

# 3 28-10-2010 , 02:47 PM
Subscriber
Heck it is! lol,,

how in %^$&$ did i manage that, not like i use the menu's on directly off the tool itself either, i go alot more slower and use the popout panels more..

well thanks for that user added image I will now proceed as planned hehe..

Cheers,

James.

# 4 28-10-2010 , 03:27 PM
There is a hotkey for soft selection mode. I believe it is the "b" key. Chances are you or your son inadvertently pressed it. Just mentioning this in case it happens again. I had a similar experience. I was adjusting the brush size and pressed "b" without holding the middle mouse button down.

While on the subject I wish autodesk would incorporate modo style falloffs and selection capabilities. They are far superior to maya's.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 28-10-2010 at 03:37 PM.
# 5 28-10-2010 , 04:23 PM
EduSciVis-er
Don't know modo, but you can create different falloffs for soft-select. Is that what you mean?

Really huge screenshot by the way... a) resize it b) crop so only the relevant portion is there.

# 6 28-10-2010 , 04:29 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the hotkey check, yes it would of been B im guessing then user added image because I use the V for snap alot when positioning stuff..

Seems 2011 UI/keys what not are really testing me right now lol, Im so used to selecting say one poly then another getting all the verti's up and just grabbing them all.

Each time im doing so now with that method its only grabing the last selected object/poly's verti's.. Ive looked at the fancy camera modes and again the online help but its always a minefield to find such the simplest problems user added image

Ok both poly's are in close situation but if you see the vertex points why cant I grab them all at same time rather than pussy footing zooming in and single selecting..

Again not sure if its something ive hit or if its a feature again that needs turning off..

p.s Ive tried all ways from past with grouping or combining etc, combine might prob be fine, but I want it seperate, its also got some strange stuff going on when splitting the objects back up from combine, what ever i do settings wise the whole objects break down into small parts like a engineers drawing.. sigh..

edit: Image in OP has been constrained lol

Last edited by moosenoodles; 28-10-2010 at 04:36 PM.
# 7 28-10-2010 , 04:34 PM
The thin red line
I think you are looking to hold down the shift key as you select, you could also hold down the left hand mouse button and laso them..........dave

# 8 28-10-2010 , 04:38 PM
Subscriber
tried that dave, just did it again now here is the mental image..

Your looking at the top frame of a window and the insert glass part in the top corner of frame.. from inside looking up.

I select the framework and show the vertex's then the glass and show vertex's all verti's there i do shift drag and only the last object selected vertex's highlight... Quite frustrating..

Its just odd I dont normaly have selection problems transitioning from older to newer maya clients..

Last edited by moosenoodles; 28-10-2010 at 04:41 PM.
# 9 28-10-2010 , 04:48 PM
EduSciVis-er
So my sequence would be something like:
Select 1st obj - RMB - verts
Shift select 2nd obj - Shift RMB - verts
Then drag select. (don't have maya here so I can't recall if holding Shift on the RMB for the 2nd is necessary). Hope that helps. I use 2009.

When I get home I'll look into it more if you haven't found a solution.

# 10 28-10-2010 , 04:52 PM
The thin red line
I just tried a simple test where I combined to boxes together then moved vert then seperated?...........dave

# 11 28-10-2010 , 04:55 PM
Subscriber
Yes was normaly my way also, tried again, ive done some more elimination tests, and it seems its ignoring my window frame for some reason,, I tried swapping the first selected object around and I get same results it just selects the vertex points on the glass, crazy..

Ill make a couple new primitives and test with those now and edit here to reflect what happened..

Edit: ok same thing stuck a cylinder poking in a cube, selected the cube/vertex - selected the cylinder/vertex, drag and only picks up objects verti's..

@Dave,, I just combined the two objects tested here and i can select them all as of course they are one object, they actually came apart ok as well.. Hmm. I checked all the verti's on the frame and glass and all are tight, merged nothing apart - its the only reason I didnt do it that way because of the initial trouble I had with the whole frame and glass breaking up into many parts and not staying whole..

Ive still yet to work out why it does that on the frame and not the std primitives I just tested on.

Last edited by moosenoodles; 28-10-2010 at 05:01 PM.
# 12 28-10-2010 , 04:57 PM
EduSciVis-er
Maybe try deleting your prefs. Sometimes maya just gets weird. Make a backup of your prefs folder and then delete the original. Maya will recreate them all fresh.

# 13 28-10-2010 , 05:02 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by stwert
Maybe try deleting your prefs. Sometimes maya just gets weird. Make a backup of your prefs folder and then delete the original. Maya will recreate them all fresh.

I guess, although ive been fortunate to never have an issue yet user added image - I reset them all via the application itself so maybe ill give that a go as well..

# 14 28-10-2010 , 06:08 PM
Subscriber
Update:

Ok hmmm definitely something odd going on here, I got all the vertex's to select using outliner as the choice of selection for both objects. But doing selection with pen and shift to add selection choose verti's does not let me on mass select those vertex points..

I have no idea now if its a bug or if its a setting somewhere with drag selection.. Or maybe both user added image

Oh well its back to the same problem again and ive narrowed it down to it happening after I ctrl D the window frame and glass, before that using the outliner I could shift select in outliner both parts/vertex/ select them all and snap or move.

Now after Ctrl D for making the next window, the shift select in outline does this,,

select frame, Shift select glass, go back to the now highlighted white selection and choose vertex,, In outliner the window frame drops selection and that is where I think the problem is, its saying in the viewports I have it selected but outliner is dropping it but only after it becomes the master of subsequent copies.. After this all frame and glass copies adapt the same behaviour user added image

any help appreciated, if its user error fine ill suck that up lol, if not I can whip off a report..

Edit: Oh well ill move the frames and glass independent for now, just a pain as its nice to keep everything done that way at times.

Anyone get any ideas do post, thanks..

Last edited by moosenoodles; 28-10-2010 at 06:44 PM.
# 15 28-10-2010 , 06:58 PM
The thin red line
Managed to do it stwerts way. the bit I think he was missing was you need to select the verts on the first part selected then with shift down select the next object then select the other verts still holding the shift button down

Edit:When you have selected the second object let go of the shift key to right click to select verts once you have selected the vert option hold down the shift key to select the vertices.....sorry for not putting this at the start

Last edited by daverave; 28-10-2010 at 07:44 PM.