Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 11-03-2004 , 04:14 PM

Need help with lighting reflections, please

Hi!

I'm totally new to maya and im playing ariund a little bit.
so i created that what you see on the pic (or sould see)

my problem is now, that i set up this thing in the front to illuminate the whole scene.....my problem is that i wanted to make it look like real lamp and so used the glow effect....but i cant get it to reflect.......

can i do that? and if so, how?...or is there an easier way to make something look like a real lamp?

thanks

Marius

Attached Images
# 2 11-03-2004 , 04:20 PM
ok you can't reflect it because it is a post effect (it's added afterthe render has finished). What I would suggest is running it out as a separate pass (the light and the glow) and then using photoshop or some compositing software bring it in that way.

Now as far as reflections go I'm not 100% sure. You will probably have to fake it with very carefully place lights that will give a spec hit on the glass. Or maybe some sort of environment mapping.

Cheers
Alan

EDIT

Oooh wait are we talking about reflecting justthe glow or the whole object? If it's the whole object then turn on raytracing.

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 3 12-03-2004 , 08:34 AM
It's only about the glow.....the object reflects.

How do I do the layer thingy?