Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 12-01-2007 , 07:53 PM
Subscriber

Nasty edges

I've always has this problem modelling hard objects. I hope someone can finallly resolve it.

The edges are not smooth like I want them. In this circumstance the normals of the dge are all hard.

When I soften them to an angle of about 90, I can this horrible shading and the edges aren't entirely soft how I want. Less than 90 there is no difference to all hard. Above 90 the shading effect is worse. See the image.

Anyone got any advice?

Attached Images

Thanks,

Forlax.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

AIM: tomohawkcg
MSN: marc_d_thompson@hotmail.com
# 2 12-01-2007 , 10:35 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Try Set Vertex normals under the Edit Poly menu>Normals and /or set to face und the same menu

If this doesnt work, judging by the geometry theres not a great deal in there to smooth so regardless of values hi or low, Maya has only got so much geo to work with and is therefore compensating on the smoothing. Perhaps add some more geo near the edges to help it along

Cheers

Jay