Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 16-04-2007 , 06:57 AM
Subscriber

bump maps again

sorry everyone, another bump map question.
ive tried just about everything to get these right, with no success.
ive tried making the bump by converting my colour map to greyscale, ive tried desaturating my colour map, ive tried rendering with depth map shadows and raytrace shadows with maya software but i still get lots of little bumps randomly across my rendered image like someone has thrown rice over it. i been looking on the internet for 2 hours and i cant find a solution to the problem. has anyone else had this or know of a way to fix it?
please help.

# 2 16-04-2007 , 07:18 AM
Senior Software Developer
can you show us. bumps will alter the look of your geometery thats how they work.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 16-04-2007 , 07:32 AM
Subscriber
heres a pic, its a close up so you can see whats going on. the big indents are fine, thats want i want, but all the little marble sized bumps arent supposed to be there, its supposed to be smooth, thats how it looks in photoshop. just thinking could it be the file format i save in, i use jpeg.

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 16-04-2007 , 07:36 AM
randy999
i used maya onetime to animate me pooping in my pants and going pee pee in a fountain

# 5 16-04-2007 , 07:43 AM
Senior Software Developer
Looks to me that the file format is fine, but there might be discolouration somewhere on the image, even a shade of grey will cause a bump. I would go back and chk ur jpg image first.

T ck if ur image is causing the problem, drop the bump depth and chk if that chnages these little bumps.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 6 16-04-2007 , 08:12 AM
Subscriber
i tried what you said, still got the little sods. but ive noticed that if i change the bump abit lighter or darker, the bumps move about when i rerender. how do you do your bump maps?

# 7 16-04-2007 , 12:32 PM
Subscriber
is the original texture map multiplied or rotated the same as the actual bump map in your hypershade nodes? this is a common mistake I often forget that gives me similar problems to your image. it cause me with a misplaced or huge bumpmap on a divided or rotated map.

Last edited by danotronXX; 16-04-2007 at 12:36 PM.
# 8 16-04-2007 , 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
hey, select by color range the bumps you want to keep and kill the contrast on everyting else. that could work