Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 23-06-2007 , 12:49 AM
Subscriber

Spitfire question

Hi All,

I'm in the middle the Spitfire tut and I was wondering whether it was beneficial or just good practice to when wings are being 'placed' instead of attached that a hole is needed to be cut out of the fuselage?

I have had a go but found that alot of seemingly unneccessary geometry is needed to get clean edges.

user added image

As appose to this where I'll probably have to make lots of new edge loops

user added image

Could i just leave it and keep my nice clean geometry?

# 2 23-06-2007 , 12:38 PM
Subscriber

hey

What a great tut, I just loved modeling the spitfure. When dealing with the wings, you dont have to follow the video to a tea. There are much better ways to deal with a few topics presented in the video's. Your first objective is to combine 2 surfaces while keeping geometry clean. The video suggest using a boolean if I remember right. I used the bridge tool. There is also a ton of edge work, this edge work surves one purpose which is to maintain a shape when subdivided. You can very easy do the spitfire a a low resolution model to define its poly shape then when your poly model is complete .. go back & do the edge work, you need 3 edges for each edge to control smoothing. Also you may want to forget about the edge work, instead when nyou convert to subs, add full & part creases to selected edges which does not change the resolution of the poly mesh & does a much better job.