Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 27-04-2011 , 08:33 PM

Photoshop UV strategy question [NEWBIE QUESTION]

Newbie question (the first of many):

Can anyone recommend a tutorial or suggest an approach for creating my maps in Photoshop so that things line up on the final model? I'm thinking specifically about a cylinder (a beginning exercise). I've got a UV map in Maya, but when I go to photoshop, how am I going to make the end plane match up to the cylinder plane all the way around? Pic is attached. Lining up one edge is easy enough, but how do people typically go about making sure that edges that don't touch in the bitmap will be seamless once it's wrapped around the object in Maya?

I guess what I'm looking for is either a tutorial, or a general strategy for how you make it match. But maybe I'm framing the question incorrectly. Maybe my UV map is done incorrectly?

Thanks to all!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 27-04-2011 , 09:06 PM
Ok, here's a slightly better illustration of the UVs, with the cubes sort of the same size and less distorted. But same question...

Attached Thumbnails
# 3 27-04-2011 , 09:46 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
It's not something you can really do with UVs, all you can do is do you're best to hide the seams.
You have to be cunning with your texture creation. You can try things like blurring the edges or cloning corresponding edges. I like to use the 3D paint tool to get a good start since it's fairly easy to get the edges to match up when using that because you don't really have to think about the UVs.

# 4 28-04-2011 , 03:07 AM
Thanks! I couldn't figure out what the trick might be. I don't know a thing about the 3d paint tool, but I'll definitely check it out.

"Alleged skills"? Very funny!