Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 03-01-2009 , 07:42 AM
Subscriber

prepare a scene for FBX export

Although I've used 3ds max for about 3 years, I'm new to Maya.

I use the Maya scenes I make in xna projects so I export all things from Maya as FBX.

When I have a poly object & modify it with a "Boolean Difference" operation using a second sacrificial poly, the modified poly displays properly in Maya. However, when I render it in xna, the sacrificed poly renders also. This is not desired.

Is there a way in Maya to prepare the mesh for export that the sacrificed poly doesn't come along.

It seems like in 3ds I'd use a "collapse all" feature but I do not see an equivalent in Maya.

Thanks.

# 2 03-01-2009 , 11:05 AM
I believe in Maya this is called "History".

So before you export your FBX model, make sure to select it, and go to:

EDIT > Delete by Type > HISTORY

or if you have multiple objects selected,:

EDIT > Delete ALL by Type > HISTORY

Good luck!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 03-01-2009 , 01:25 PM
Subscriber
Yep. that was it. I was aware of deleting the history and thought I was routinely deleting it. However, I thought the history was one big history for everything. I would delete history without caring about what was selected thinking all history of all objects would be deleted. I didn't realize it's selection dependent... for obvious reasons.

# 4 03-01-2009 , 04:17 PM
Subscriber
i don't get why you find it obvious
that would be a BAD thing if it deleted all history and not the history of objects that are selected

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 5 04-01-2009 , 12:36 AM
Subscriber
That's what I mean. Like the light went on in my head & made it obvious that it should be selection dependent. I would imagine there are many times you just want to delete history on a particular time. I just hadn't realized it till now.