Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 31 05-08-2008 , 10:27 AM
a stainless steel or brushed metal look would definitely be manipulated more in the specular map than in the color map. it's technically all the same color, the distinct look is from the way the light is caught in the micro grooves in the metal itself.

Accept no substitutions.
# 32 05-08-2008 , 06:26 PM
Super Moderator
I agree with NeoStrider. In this case I just made an almost black mia_material_x, changed the anistropy values, cranked up reflection and BRDF values to be really reflective at all angles and then blurred them.

- Genny
# 33 05-08-2008 , 08:20 PM
Thanks, I'll look into it then and try to get that stainless look.

# 34 07-08-2008 , 04:19 AM
Super Moderator
Updates, tests using procedurals as stand-ins, seeing how the colors work before I paint the tiles and stuff, the stove is a bit too light colored and so it will most likely be changed, I don't think I'll leave the countertops white. The glossy relflections/refractions are a bit grainy because since they're tests of course I kept the samples low.

user added image

user added image

- Genny
# 35 07-08-2008 , 04:33 AM
Subscriber
that looks quite real user added image

other than the bottom of the chair and fldoating panels :p

is it me or is the furniture floating a few pixels above the floor?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 36 07-08-2008 , 05:10 AM
Super Moderator
Lol thanks, and yeah I noticed that it is a wee bit above the floor, I'll have to fix that for sure before I do a final, right now I'm nailing down color schemes.

- Genny
# 37 07-08-2008 , 08:33 AM
Some great work here,

The second image looks great, i'm not getting the top pic though, the metal's a bit off and i'm not getting the glass with the stuff in.

A few tweekshere and there to fine tune it and give it the edge will sort it out.

Looking good overall!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 38 07-08-2008 , 07:58 PM
Super Moderator
Thank you^^. Yeah the metal isn't really doing it for me, the one on the stove to be exact. I think the 'floating panels' as Chirone called them confuses people lol, they're actually the drawer fronts and those are part of the bar, I didn't hide them ><. Updates are around the corner.

- Genny
# 39 08-08-2008 , 12:16 AM
materials look great and a very sweet render, mental ray?

# 40 08-08-2008 , 02:06 AM
yeah - very nice job. really like the second shot - espacially the angle / composition.

nice work! user added image

# 41 08-08-2008 , 06:11 AM
Super Moderator
Thank for the comments guys.

@younglion, yeah its Mental Ray

@arran, I was screwing around with the focal length, lol though someone told me it made it seem strange somehow

Well I'm painting textures, tiles are going to be green/earthy type tones. Lol in painting this I'm tempted to "grunge it up" but then it would clash with everything else, this is what I got so far.

Attached Thumbnails

- Genny
# 42 08-08-2008 , 03:34 PM
you can add a little bit of grunge not too much, unless you are going for the "model kitchen" you see in magazines then grunge will be a big no no

# 43 11-08-2008 , 02:27 AM
Super Moderator
Yeah I wanted a clean look, if i grunged it up I'd have to grunge up the whole scene and thats not what I want to do. Updates, I've been almost compulsively adding crap to this, I have to stop >.> almost done.

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

user added image

- Genny

Last edited by GecT; 11-08-2008 at 03:45 AM.
# 44 11-08-2008 , 04:14 AM
Subscriber
looks impressive

i dont think anyone would use it with the bench in the middle (lack of the ergonomic triangle me thinks), unless such kitchens are actually used in home environments...

i've never actually seen a kitching with a bench in the middle in homes

loving the floor user added image

the shot with the glasses up at the top is slight confusing, but all is clear in the other shots

unless those white squares on the roof are flourescent lights (which i assume they are), i'd say the scene needs some light bulbs, i don't think anyone could work in a kitchen with just one window

oh and the little scoops in the jars of... black powder is a really nice addition

the dishes are also a nice touch

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 45 11-08-2008 , 05:14 AM
Looking good... looks a bit like my sister's kitchen. She HAS a bench in the middle like that, but not with a faucet though.