Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 76 03-03-2004 , 09:59 AM
Hmmm pretty sure i don't like the pecks on it... somehow methinks dragons dont have pecks or abs...

# 77 03-03-2004 , 11:01 AM
Dragons are mythical. They can have any anatomy the artist chooses.

I have seen drawings with and without.

I am pretty sure they would have a rib cage, Pectoral muscles to pull the wings and abdomonal muscles. I agree mine look a little to squared off and flat but that is just a matter of pulling and pushing some vertices.

Even pictures that I have seen that have them fully scaled you can still make out the underlying anatomy.

In any event I thought it added some dimension of detail to the model.

I plan on adding plate scales up the neck or I might do that with a bump map.

I wanted to add more surface detail and try out using shape objects. I could have given him scaled plates down the neck and through the belly area and still might. It is after all a work in progress.

Thanks for the feedback.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 21-03-2004 at 05:26 PM.
# 78 03-03-2004 , 04:07 PM
Subscriber
good job on the model but I have to agree with Zykotik about the pecks and abs though, I dont think it looks right at all

# 79 03-03-2004 , 04:24 PM
they look too flat I think that's what's messing it up. Maybe try fleshing them out a bit and making them less evenly space and a little less humanoid.

The model is looking cool though

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 80 03-03-2004 , 04:30 PM
You are talking about the abdominal muscles?

I keep swinging the model around and they really don't look that bad to me.

I'll need to sketch on the model a bit to work it out in my mind then I might redo them a bit.

It is to hard to adjust what I have in place.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 03-03-2004 at 04:56 PM.
# 81 03-03-2004 , 05:27 PM
Sorry for my bad drawing skills, but this was my thoughts as I did the chest, deltoid, abdominal and oblique muscle details.

Muscles A and B would be the main flight muscles and so they are the largest. Birds / raptors have relatively small biceps and triceps (E and F).

Aside from rounding (and thus making them less visible) I am not sure I undstand what you are suggesting I change?

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 03-03-2004 at 06:26 PM.
# 82 03-03-2004 , 05:44 PM
Is it better from this angle?

I wanted the chest to to be flat on the bottom to look more plate like. It's looking odd because there is detail that I have in my head that is not in the model yet.

I think with the right bump map and scale texture map they will not be as noticable so I wanted to exagerate the edges.

Really appreciate the input guys. This is where I really wish I was more of an artist. I know the basic anatomy but I have little drawing and sculpting skill to draw upon. user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 04-03-2004 at 12:22 PM.
# 83 03-03-2004 , 08:50 PM
about the abnominal muscles. i think the dragon looks ok with it, but in my opinion, you might wanna get them closer to each other, it looks too far apart. im looking at my abdominal muscles, and i know im no dragon, but theyre pretty close to each other, but then again, that is a dragon, so maybe thats why it looks weird to us. just my opinion user added image the whole model looks great though man! keep it up!

<a href="https://forums.simplymaya.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16675">May/June 2005 Challenge Entry</a>
# 84 03-03-2004 , 10:09 PM
Day 5:

- tweaked the chest and abdomen area
- added mass to shoulder and deltoid muscles

I think this looks a bit better. I reduced the "boxyness" of the chest and smoothed the abdominal plates a bit and reshaped things a tad.

I think the neck detail and if I get good enough to create a scaled bump map and decent texture map I think the abs will not be as pronounced. I think the fact that that appear to square and sharp edged might be what is throwing things off quilter.

To do:

- arm details
- bottom neck scales

I started to try and bring out the shoulder, bicep, tricep but I am running into trouble because I can't figure out how to make the edge splits.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 03-03-2004 at 10:33 PM.
# 85 04-03-2004 , 12:00 AM
looking whey nice, i think that you have modeled your dragon to end, go texturate it, i will like to see that dragon finished at the end of this week!!! Will it bee finished?

# 86 04-03-2004 , 01:18 AM
I think the modelling is pretty much done.

I don't think I will be texturing this.

Prolly gonna just keep it around and tinking on it. Gonna jump into another modelling project to use the skills I learned on this one.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 87 04-03-2004 , 09:32 AM
Jup you schould probably praktice and get it in too be routine, hope that you texturate it later, it`s realy nice dragon!! and will you post progres of your next project??

# 88 04-03-2004 , 09:38 AM
Day 5 (cont):

- added neck scales

Little details really help pull out the form better.

To Do:

Still not happy with the arm and hand details. Think I am going to take a side track and model an stand alone arm to practice / learn where to make the splits for the anatomical features.

Summary:

Kurt, great job on the tutorial!

Simply Maya community - thanks for all the suggestions and encouragement.

This tutorial is an excellent introduction to organic modelling. It takes advantage of all 3 surface types (nurbs, subdivision surfaces and polygons). Use of all the most important polygon editing commands are expertly demonstrated. Kurt, shares numerous time saving tips on adding details and keeping the model clean and managable.

I had some trouble with the proportions of the reference images, but as Mike mentioned and Kurt points out in the tutorial it is rare to get referance images that are 100% accurate. It was only my lack of art training that slowed me down.

I am glad I stuck with it and I am pleased with the results.

Sincerely,
Rich M.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 05-03-2004 at 03:00 AM.
# 89 04-03-2004 , 10:05 AM

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 04-03-2004 at 02:24 PM.
# 90 04-03-2004 , 05:30 PM
Shot without the colored planes.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 04-03-2004 at 08:45 PM.