Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 29-09-2007 , 10:20 AM
Subscriber

Maya 2008 .JPG issue

Hello,

I've finally got my new OS installed and so have installed Maya 2008 too. I opened up my current project and all of the .jpg texture files were unable to load (the error said something about not being able to convert the file to .iff).

I changed one of the files to .tif and it worked fine.

Is there an issue with Maya 2008 and .jpg image files? I've not read anything about it myself and thought that maybe one of you has encountered a similar issue.

It's not the end of the world but it is certainly going to cause a bit of a headache if I need to change all of the .jpg files!!

Cheers,

Mat.

# 2 29-09-2007 , 10:37 AM
Not that I know of Mat, seems to work fine on my PC's.

Have you tried reloading the textures just to see if its lost the link of something wit hthe new OS etc onboard?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 3 29-09-2007 , 11:18 AM
Subscriber
Hey there Steve,

How's things?

Yeah, I've tried reloading the files but no joy, same goes for saving them under a new name and attaching the new file to a new shader.

I'm stumped!

Later,

Mat.

# 4 29-09-2007 , 11:31 AM
Just checked to make sure and its working fine, ive got 2 images attached to nurbs planes, just tried and attached it to a poly object to make sure that its working fine and it is??

Seems a bit weird?

# 5 29-09-2007 , 11:54 AM
Subscriber
I've just been having a play around and have found that it's only the .jpg images from my project that aren't working. and get this.... it's not all of them, only the ones that I have altered or created in Photoshop.

I'm welll and truly stumped now!

# 6 29-09-2007 , 11:59 AM
wowzers!

Mad as a bag of frogs in a box of ball bearings!

I know that I edited the JPEGs in PS (im running CS2). have you tried making a new JPEG in PS and just applying that? I dont think that theres any options that you could have changed??

ohh, i've got a cold so a bit sniffeley and a sore throat but otherwise pretty ok! Got my pants to stay up in the end, needed a constraint, so off to rendering now!

Cheers

Steve

# 7 29-09-2007 , 02:14 PM
yeah, on my PC if i save them directly out of Photoshop, sometimes it cant read them... its weird

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 8 29-09-2007 , 03:28 PM
Subscriber
no problems from 2008 for me and jpegs - sorry guys

# 9 30-09-2007 , 12:11 AM
Subscriber
Hello again,

cheers for your thoughts about this.

I've since found that it's only my project .jpg's that I backed up onto dvd that are having this problem.

I can take a .jpg from the web and it works fine, I can then alter it in PS and again it's fine, I can even create something new in PS and it works perfectly but none of the Photoshopped .jpg files that are on the dvd that I used to back up my final year project before I upgraded my OS to 64-bit flingin' flangin' work!

Oh well, I've got my project proposal to worry about for now, I rekon I'll be busy changing file types this weekend!!

Hope your cold gets better Steve and I'm glad you got your trousers to stay up!!

Later,

Mat.

# 10 30-09-2007 , 02:07 AM
Subscriber
Hello again,

who'd have thunk that installing a new OS would raise so many questions!!

Well here's another one for you all to ponder....

I noticed that my hard drive space was diminishing rather quickly so I ran the Tune Up disk space explorer and was wondering whether anyone knows what the files that I've put in the red block are all about.

The ones in green are what I'd expect to see on my HD (programs, OS, various files etc) and they take up the amount of space I would expect to be used on my drive so far.

For example..... I took a look at the HD usage before I installed Flash and Dreamweaver, it was 188Gig available, after installation it showed 186Gig. I know that these shuld only take up about 120Meg between them not 2Gig.

Anyone know what this wonderful new feature in Vista is that is eating up my storage like it's food going out of fashion and if it's possible/wise to turn it off?

Thoughts would be good.

Cheers,

Mat.

Attached Thumbnails
# 11 30-09-2007 , 04:38 AM
I recognize a few of them. The .msi file a Microsoft installer package, I think and data1.cab is a cabinet file. All of them look like temp files to me left over after installation. Does Vista have a disk clean up tool like XP? Running that should get rid of them.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 12 30-09-2007 , 05:08 AM
Subscriber
cheers for your thought Architect,

I've done a disk clean using Vista and Tune UP Utilities but they're still there.

It seems that each time I install something there is more left over in temp than there has been installed on the system!!

I'm totally new to Vista so it may well be something glaringly obvious to the initiated but I am clueless.

Take it easy,

Mat.

# 13 30-09-2007 , 05:27 AM
Hmm... What folder are they in?

If they are in a temp folder or something then its 'probaly' safe to delete them.

Anyways, the disk clean function in windows never really properly worked in my opinion. In XP and older I had to go into explorer, track down temp files and delete them myself.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 14 30-09-2007 , 08:08 AM
The Maya Mountain
I believe Maya has issues with Progressive saved .jpgs.

# 15 30-09-2007 , 08:39 AM
Subscriber
Brilliant,

they don't call you the Maya Mountain for nothing Mr McKinley!!

I have no idea how my .jpg output settings got changed but they were set to progressive rather than baseline.

Still it's wierd that they worked before put them onto DVD, at least I know how to sort the textures now!

I just got to sort out what's going on with my hard drive now, any ideas Mike?

Thanks,

Mat. user added image