Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 16 27-05-2008 , 03:03 AM
Theres quite a few bits and bobs added form 2008 (in Ex 1, muscle, and Extension2, mental ray, modeling and Uving tools)

As I said Jos Stam's doing a unified dynamics solver demo at a conference (the euro leg of siggraph, prior to the main show) here's fingers crossed its neucleus solver accross everything.

So I think 2009 will have pretty obviously all of extension 1&2 as well as some neucleus dynamics/fluids in there, which wouldbe a nice package.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 17 27-05-2008 , 05:56 AM
Senior Software Developer
I think Steve is totaly right, too much speculation. I can totaly see Ext1 and 2 being added to Maya 2009 and we can only hope the nuculas system is added to the Dynamics. This (IMHO) put Maya back on top of the 3D packages.

Maybe this explains the lack of updates in Max. It seems Max users are starting to feel like we Maya users did at the Alias/Autodesk Takeover. IT seems a few are worried about the applications future. I was reading an article in this months 3D World (Issue 105) in the letters section of the Autodesk attitude towards Maya. The concern is that the lack of updates for that app and the huge updates Maya is getting, may mean the end of Max in the entertainment field (TV, Film, Games). Currently it has no nCloth (both apps support Python), outdated NURBS, Joints system similar to the CAT system (which is now owned by Softimage, makers of XSI), no Full Body IK. With these systems having no updates in the last 2 releases, is Maya going to be Autodesks Flagship. Everything points to yes...

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 18 27-05-2008 , 06:05 AM
hmm, maybe not the right place for the debate, but I went to an autodesk seminar about a couple of months after Autodesk brought out maya 2008 and Max 9 was being demoed.

The guys there were sort of hinting that they were trying to target different customer bases for max and maya, and the demos were geared up to sort of show that. There was a lot of arch vis for max and, trying to best pick my words here, faster and less complicated animation for it (with character studio), but still with high quality results, where Maya was more geared for more "complex" animation and production pipelines, with movie and high end broardcast work (not that Max cant do that).

# 19 10-06-2008 , 11:49 AM
I am kind of more expecting some improved compatibility for osX and a better integration for the mental ray. Most features are only available to experts in this area that have programming skills.

Maya 2008 is still running smoothly on 10.5.3 but the improved graphics driver does seem to mess it all up. Before the update i had to occasionally reboot maya because items in the menu bar didn't want to work anymore. Now these problems happen more often and the openGL viewports seem to get stressed out when many polygons are displayed. I run it on a octo 2.8 Xeon with a 8800GT.

Don't know if it also is just me, but when are they gonna make the nucleus multi-threaded? Doing a nCloth sim is so slow cause it only uses 1/8th of my system. This nucleus could be a sweet system because of the complex setups it can handle.
Or does it work on multi-cpu's for you guys ?

Who knows what 10.6 will bring if they will make non-multithreaded operation available over multi-cpu's. Maybe autodesk needs to put a little effort into support and maintenance for os-updates.

# 20 10-06-2008 , 12:06 PM
I would hazard a guess that multicoring neucleus might be on the list.

I dont think that support and developemnt for OS updats will be a biggie for them, apple bring out, what, one every 18 months or so. Not when the majority of the sales are for windows which has a longer product life cycle.

In the qualification charts for Mac's there are issues with graphics displays, not too sure if there what your having??

# 21 10-06-2008 , 01:33 PM
I cant see them concentrating too much time on the MAC issues, due to the fact 80-90% of the stuidos are predominintly Windows/Linux based. Until MAC starts to get more desktops/workstations in studios (30-40%), then the development of this will take a back seat. The have to make back the money they have put into development.

More additions to the nucleus system is on the cards, and possibly an MR update. We will have to wait and see.

Maybe Steve (our roving correpondant :p) will let us know or thier will be a broadcast after the event.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
# 22 10-06-2008 , 02:42 PM
Will do, looking forward to jos Stam's presentation, maybe there will be a glimpse there??

I doubt there will be any actual unveiling untill siggraph in August.

Apple 10.6, have to hope its compatable with maya, what with the fiasco with leopard and adobe cs2 being incompatable, bullet in the foot.

# 23 08-07-2008 , 05:47 AM
Subscriber
for some reason i thought that adobe products and Maya were aimed towards running more efficiently on Macs...

or maybe that was just macromedia products prior the merge(?) of adobe and macromedia

# 24 08-07-2008 , 10:34 PM

Originally posted by Chirone
for some reason i thought that adobe products and Maya were aimed towards running more efficiently on Macs...

or maybe that was just macromedia products prior the merge(?) of adobe and macromedia

From what I understand, Maya was targeted towards two platforms - MIPS/IRIX and x86/Windows, with MIPS/IRIX targeted more aggressively.

Surprisingly, despite all the myths about Apple being the "graphics company", I recall articles from magazines about how high end software - really high end software from companies like Discreet was optimised for MIPS/IRIX till near the very end of the platform's competiveness. I even remember an interview where the Discreet representatives were saying that if people were serious about their apps, they would run it on MIPS/IRIX.

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 25 08-07-2008 , 11:12 PM
Subscriber
MIPS/IRIX?
never heard of that....
i'll look for it sometime...

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 26 08-07-2008 , 11:59 PM
Some background info on MIPS and IRIX if anyone is interested:

MIPS was one of the first RISC architectures around. The first MIPS processor, the R2000 was released in 1985. The first 64-bit CPU ever was the R4000, released in 1992. This was when MIPS was owned by Silicon Graphics, the then technology leader in anything 3D, and they used MIPS chips in their workstations and Onyx graphics supercomputers.

At around 1997 or 1998, SGI and MIPS lost their competitiveness due to bad management. MIPS at SGI hasn't moved forward since 2003 and it got axed in 2006. These days MIPS isn't around for anything mainstream, although they are still very popular as low power chips for use in mobile phones, set top boxes, routers, that sort of thing, although SiCortex makes supercomputers with them.

As for IRIX, it is a pretty cool UNIX OS from SGI that ran on MIPS computers. It was a real time OS, so interactivity was pretty much guaranteed. The computer, no matter how heavily loaded, would still be responsive. XFS, the file system for IRIX (like NTFS for Windows) has the same real time performance guaranteed features like IRIX. IRIX got axed when SGI couldn't afford further development and switched to Linux.

XFS is now open source software, and I enjoy its advanced features on my Linux box, although my cheap and old x86 box doesn't support any of XFS more advanced features (but it is fast, real fast).

# 27 09-07-2008 , 02:21 AM
Maya™ is not longer aimed like that, Maya™ is aimed towards the predominitly Windows™ based market (regardless of ppl's view of Microsoft™ or Windows™, Windows™ is the operating system found in most use, do its it user friendly interface and looks), yes I agree Linux™ is better due to less overheads and its minimal cost, but as it has little support for most mainstream apps, Windows™ is still king. Development for Linux™ is still being run alongside Windows and studios can or do use Linux heavily. And as I said in my last post, last on the list is MAC™... For Obvoius reasons.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
# 28 09-07-2008 , 02:33 AM

Originally posted by R@nSiD
Maya™ is not longer aimed like that, Maya™ is aimed towards the predominitly Windows™ based market (regardless of ppl's view of Microsoft™ or Windows™, Windows™ is the operating system found in most use, do its it user friendly interface and looks), yes I agree Linux™ is better due to less overheads and its minimal cost, but as it has little support for most mainstream apps, Windows™ is still king. Development for Linux™ is still being run alongside Windows and studios can or do use Linux heavily. And as I said in my last post, last on the list is MAC™... For Obvoius reasons.

user added image

I thought I made it clear that MIPS/IRIX is gone and that the current situation is different. I was just saying that Maya originated from Alias | Wavefront when it was owned by SGI, and that their software (including Maya) and other high end graphics apps where never really aimed towards Apple, but rather SGI beasts.

As for Mac, what are the obvious reasons? Seriously, I don't know... Really!

Does it only run Photoshoppe well?

# 29 09-07-2008 , 02:38 AM
Subscriber
i thought mac doesnt run photoshop thats why you always hear people say "i prefer windows over mac because i cant live without photoshop"

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 30 09-07-2008 , 02:46 AM
LOL! :lmao: