Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 09-12-2008 , 10:06 PM
Subscriber

Maya Fluids Help!

Hi,

Where can I find decent Maya Fluids tutorials on the internet? I'm using Maya fluids for the first time, but I really
don't want to spend the $$$ on trainng DVDs right now if
I don't have to. Please help!!!

Thanks!

# 2 10-12-2008 , 01:11 PM
Welcome to SM trekg4user added image

Well, for free you won't find much beyond a good google search.

However, if you check the Maya help, there are some tutorials in the fluids section.
Also, try the sample scenes in the Visor.

If you open the Visor sample fluid scenes, there are notes in the attribute editor for certain objects explaining in detail what each feature does.

So, check the help, there is a treasure trove of information there that others fail to noticeuser added image

Good luck!

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 11-12-2008 , 07:26 AM
Subscriber

Fluids collision problem

Hi,

Here's a specific problem. Why is it when I have a fluid colliding with an object, the fluid will eventually penetrate and show up on the other side of my collision object? I've looked through all of the settings, & I can't see a solution to the problem. What am I missing/

Thanks for the help.

# 4 11-12-2008 , 08:20 AM
I have two things for you to double-check in your geometry:

1. Make sure your collision object is made of TRIANGLE polygons, not QUADS.
Triangulate the poly mesh explicitly using Polygons >Triangulate

2. Change the Tessellation Factor if necessary and click Apply and Close.

Maya internally converts NURBS objects to polygons before it animates the simulation. The Tessellation Factor sets the number of polygons created during the conversion. Lower numbers create coarser geometry and lessen animation accuracy (which means more fluid will appear to pass through the geometry), but increase the playback speed and processing time.

The default Tessellation Factor is 200. Try doubling the value as many times as necessary to get the desired smoothness. (Select the geometry and click the geoConnector tab in the Attribute Editor.)

Hope this helped!

Good luck!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 5 11-12-2008 , 09:36 PM
Subscriber

Fluids Collision Problem

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I tried what you suggested and it still didn't work. I had the tessellation factor over 5000 & still no luck. I used both polys converted to triangles & NURBS converted to triangles. The project I'm working on requires me to import a poly object (bottle) & I need to fill it from the bottom. If you have any more ideas, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

# 6 11-12-2008 , 09:46 PM
Oh wow.

Well, not to burst your bubble regarding Fluids, but despite its name, Fluids are currently better suited for gaseous effects than pouring wateruser added image

So, to continue, I need to know what version of Maya you are running to determine what we can do to move forward with achieving what you wantuser added image

If you are running Maya 2009, I already have a solution for you:
Duncan Brimsmead has a video tutorial for you using nParticles for pouring water into a glass here:
https://area.autodesk.com/index.php/b...th_nparticles/

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 7 12-12-2008 , 02:59 PM
Subscriber

Fluids Collision

I'm using Maya 2008.