Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 16 17-11-2002 , 04:09 PM
The Maya Mountain

Originally posted by tariqrf
suggest learning shading, character modelling, skinning & skeleton, and then start modelling everyday things... might help

While everyone has their own opinions about the learning process, I would think that modeling every day things would be a better precursor to actually diving into characters and creatures. You have to learn the modeling tools somehow, and I would think modeling simple things (chairs, desks, books, guns, etc) in increasing difficulty would be the easiest way to do it.

# 17 17-11-2002 , 04:12 PM
Good idea, they do say practise makes perfect. :p

And it definetly would get u very used to the interface and also make u faster at switching from tool to tool really helping u for when u decide to go onto biger and more complex things, good advice mate.

# 18 17-11-2002 , 04:22 PM
Great start, you learn best by playing and experamenting.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 19 17-11-2002 , 07:48 PM

new ppl

so far the best help i've seen for newer ppl (as i am) remains with the video Tutorials. Even if you don't follow them step by step, just watch them over and over. The informaiton for me seems to stick better watching than reading and flipping from window to window. Just some advice from a beginner to other beginners.

# 20 17-11-2002 , 08:01 PM
Hi Mr_Red
Welcome to SimplyMaya!

I agree.

# 21 17-11-2002 , 08:30 PM
Subscriber
After a while you will probably get this notion...
"...hmmm I will start doing "this/whatever" different from now on..."

And after a while, the usual questions are answered, and you simply build upon that.

I learned something today:

The parent tool is both great for connecting objects without losing special rotation axis' AND the duplication copies all objects under one parent.

My modeling discipline (yes both an "s" and a "c" here) is getting better each month.

I do not support Bush! Nor Saddam! Long live UN!
# 22 17-11-2002 , 11:34 PM

try hitting the F1 key and take a look at the Instant Maya lessons

they have been a big help..you can see some of the pics i have done from them.. ^