Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 14-12-2008 , 07:53 PM
Subscriber

water fx

I have an idea of video taping a body of water and then bringing it into maya and modeling something popping out of the water but I have no idea how I would make the water ripple and look like this object is really coming out of the water. I already know a little about tracking and machmoving

Oh and I'm not expecting this to be easy at all so I'm prepared to hear any answers to this.

# 2 15-12-2008 , 11:21 PM
Well, I guess the biggest question of all is are you going to be moving the camera?

I would really suggest you "lock-off" the camera, i.e. set it on a tripod, frame your shot, and shoot.

Then extend your matte if needed by shooting high-res stills, nodal pans of the camera for extra fill footage, or straightup paint.

As far as the 3d interaction with the water surface, fluids are probably not your best choice here.
Despite its' name, fluids are better suited for gaseous effects rather than flowing water type effects.
That is where products like RealFlow come into play.

I would suggest nParticle water (Maya 2009), hardware particle spray, 2d and 3d projection to achieve the initial bulge of the object breaching the surface.

As a compositor, my first impulse would be to use multiple types of water plate footage from a high frequency waterfall with different time offsets etc. projected onto the rising geometry, along with hardware particle spray to augment the falling water off the object.

Does any of that help?

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 3 15-12-2008 , 11:35 PM
Subscriber
a bit confusing, I do have maya 09 and I have realflow to work with. I'm just confused on how to do all this and the workflow. Might be a dream project rather than an actual one, fx are all pretty new to me.

# 4 16-12-2008 , 12:47 AM
Well, lets start from scratch.

What is your object?

Is it a character or an object like a big ship, or some non-organic object?

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 5 16-12-2008 , 01:20 AM
Subscriber
it's going to be a sea monster kind of like the loch ness monster. There is said to be one in Lake Champlain (named Champy) and I figured I'd try to see what I could do to make a video that looks like I've captured it.
I want the head to poke out of the water with it's neck and part of it's back stick up. But I know that when it's head comes out of the water, water will drip off of it and the water around it will move.
I have not modeled this yet because I didn't want to start it if I didn't think it was possible for me to do.

Oh yes the video idea was going to have some movement but I figure just a tripod with it sitting still would do just as good.

# 6 16-12-2008 , 10:06 AM
Well, if you are back far enough so that it looks like you are/were a hiker going through the woods when you noticed through the trees that the creature was surfacing, that might sell better.
i.e. it realistically hides your position, plus it helps with showing the scale of the environment and the creature.

Do you have any pics if the location you are going to be shooting from? And a shot of the lake from that location?

I'm just looking for things to track as a close-up of the lake water itself is not going to track, as it moves erraticly like tree leaves, etc.

We could create the surface water in post or in Maya if we had to once we get a good track in the event you wish to move the camera.

Also, to help sell it as an accidental video capture, camera moves and subtle zooms and defocusing in post will really help sell it also.

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 7 16-12-2008 , 08:13 PM
Subscriber
I will post a picture next time I'm close enough to the lake during the day time, now that it's winter I can't do anything like this until weekends. I will try to just get a snap shot of the general area asap

# 8 16-12-2008 , 08:19 PM
Cooluser added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 9 27-12-2008 , 01:24 AM
Subscriber
sorry for the delayed reply this is just some quick shots of the area from across the road, I will be getting along the shore for the video (unless a video from the road would be better?), and I might even pick a different spot but just a rough idea.

user added image

user added image

user added image

and if you're interested here's a video from monsterquest on youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6S5xFAavj1s

# 10 27-12-2008 , 01:54 AM
This shows a lot of promiseuser added image

Looks pretty fun, cant wait to see you start work on it.

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 11 27-12-2008 , 01:59 AM
Subscriber
first place I should start is making the monster though huh? I can't start any of the other work until I have it modeled already?

The only reason I was thinking of a possible different place it because of where sightings have been, but then again, who's to say the monster doesn't travel? haha.

I will get to work on this so I can start the hard, and hopefully fun part of the project.

# 12 27-12-2008 , 04:00 AM
Sweet! looking forward to it!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com