Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 04-03-2009 , 03:30 AM
Subscriber

Question Color Texture Displacement FUN

Alright I dont' know if you saw the Champy WIP I had going on but this is more about it and hoped I'd get a faster response in here than in my thread.

Here's the breakdown of it all
Modeled in maya, poly
Layed out UV's in maya
Exported to Mudbox
Edited in mudbox
Imported back into maya and placed displacements from mudbox into file
Created Blin for the creature for texturing done in photoshop
Colored just quickly over the UVs in photoshop for a test
Imported edited UV's under color in the blin

And here is what I come up with

UV's screenshot with paint over top of it:
user added image

Scene rendered in mental ray:
user added image

Screen shot of the scene in maya (looks alright in the viewport):
user added image

Screenshot of hypergraph window and the blinn highlighted just incase this info is needed:
user added image

any ideas what the problem could be? Am I painting on the UV's and installing them wrong or something? I've never had an issue like this before, then again I've never used displacement or mudbox before. I'm completely lost at the moment with this issue, hopefully I described it good enough, if not ask and I will answer hopefully we can get this working.

Edit:
I rendered for the fun of it in maya software and since it doesn't render the displacement map the color is solid and not messed up like in the rendered picture in mental ray.
The displacement map is a .exr file because from a video I watched thats the way it read them or something. I couldn't get it to work as a tiff or targa file

Last edited by Rhetoric Camel; 04-03-2009 at 03:55 AM.
# 2 04-03-2009 , 10:00 PM
Subscriber
One more bit of information since it seems no one has any ideas

user added image

Does it maybe have something to do with these settings? I lowered the Min and Max Subd's From 3 and 5 to 2 and 4 and it seemed to render a bit faster so I kept those settings.

Is there something here I'm missing? I feel like it should not be giving me as much problems as it is giving me.

Edit: Am I supposed to link the Blinn and the displacement map together? I've run out of ideas I've tried just about everything I can think of except linking the two together since I have no idea how to do that.

Last edited by Rhetoric Camel; 04-03-2009 at 10:39 PM.
# 3 04-03-2009 , 11:30 PM
... your using that texture you posted as your displacement map?

FX supervisor - double negative
# 4 04-03-2009 , 11:50 PM
Subscriber
Nope I'm using this as my displacement (which is an .exr which I brought in from mudbox)

user added image

Another thing I did, I colored the entire layer in photoshop over the UV's one color:
user added image
brought it in maya as a test, and it worked fine, no blotching or anything like that, just a solid color, looks good:
user added image

But when I don't color the WHOLE LAYER (like it looks in my first post up above) it comes out like I posted also in the original post

I'm so baffled at this, and it's getting pretty frustrating. I don't want to do just one solid color like that so obviously this is kind of a pain in the butt...

Last edited by Rhetoric Camel; 04-03-2009 at 11:59 PM.
# 5 05-03-2009 , 12:50 AM
Do a checker UV test pattern on it, failing that post your scene, disp and color map.

# 6 05-03-2009 , 12:58 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by LauriePriest
Do a checker UV test pattern on it, failing that post your scene, disp and color map.

Here is the checker UV Test Pattern:
user added image

I have the displacement map shown up above and there is no color map, unless you mean the uv's I painted over in photoshop then applied to the blinn, which that is also posted up above.

# 7 05-03-2009 , 08:18 AM

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 8 05-03-2009 , 03:27 PM
ah that old bug, i think they fixed it in 2009 version:

Grabbed this from the release notes for mental ray:

For ccmesh objects with displacement, apply vertex displacement for the estimation of subdivision level to be used. This solves possible shading artifacts for object areas close to the camera plane.

From the looks of your model in viewport displacement aproximation should do the job for this one. Dump the subdiv or make sure it doesnt export as CC.

# 9 06-03-2009 , 12:59 AM
Subscriber
thanks for the help I will definitely give this a try either tonight or tomorrow afternoon and let you know how it worked out for me. And just because I didn't mention it, I am using 2009 so I'm not expecting this to work but I will give it a shot. Thanks again and I'll reply again later on.

# 10 06-03-2009 , 01:31 AM
Subscriber
gster: I tried what was used in the link, the little mel script and it did some weird things to my object, but thanks for the help I appreciate it.

LauriePriest: I deleted the subdivision Approx. and did the Displacement Approx. changed it to spatial and changed the Min Subd and Max Subd to 2 and 4 (same settings I used when it was the subd approx) and it worked out fine, render time doubled but for now it's worth it, thank you very much for the help I appreciate it very much.

# 11 12-03-2009 , 07:52 AM
No probs! Its worth keeping different things in mind when your doing a job.

I think the CC only came in in 2008 to mess everyone up

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle