Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 11-07-2011 , 11:54 PM

SubD or Smooth?

Hello! I'm learning on how to use SubD on my models, and I found it better than using smooth tool two times to give it the details, without adding a lot more geometry.

However, There is a very simple model that I made just to toy around with certain things. I made two copies. One for Smooth tool, and one for subD. At first step, it seems that the SubD is way better than the Smooth tool...then I smoothed it again, and both look pretty much exactly the same. However, the wires are different. Its expected, but the SubD looks like there are some edge loops that aren't closed.

user added image

The one on the right is SubD, the one on the left is Smoothed twice. It may look like the SubD is "blocky", but it renders out pretty much exactly the same as the smooth version.

So what's better in the long run? Sub Ds or Smooth? Or is that a debate that I'm opening up...lol. user added image

https://deannabono.blogspot.com - My Portfolio Progress. Take a gander. Enjoy!
# 2 14-07-2011 , 10:10 PM
yes...you dont sound not non double negative
back in the day subD was better than smoothing, because you can tweak locally, and change subD level at rendertime; so u have decent playback speed on the screen.

now , most pcs and software can handle large amount of plies on screen and at render time, so the difference is really marginal at worst.

level 3 luchador!

image dump