Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 10-01-2005 , 06:35 PM
Subscriber

Strange shading - help needed

Something strange has happened to my model and I cant get rid of it.

When I view the model using flat shading It looks like the image below

user added image

When I view it smooth shaded, some strange shadows have apeared.

user added image

These also are evident when I render the image

user added image

below is the actual file inMaya 6 ma and mb format.. Could someone please have a look at it and see if they can figure it out.
I have tried everything including remapping all the uvs, checking all the verts are welded correctly, checking all the normals etc..

https://stonks.com/forum/help.zip

HELP

# 2 10-01-2005 , 06:52 PM
Subscriber
One thing I have noticed though, is that if I delete one of the dark faces, then replace it by usin "append to polygon". The new face doesnt have the wierd shading effect ?

The last thing I want to do is to replace all the faces.. I would have to redo all the uv layout again on the arms... Ugh,

# 3 10-01-2005 , 09:32 PM
Subscriber
ok i think the problem is to do with polygon normals (now I am no expert so don't blame me if it doesn't work) go to display - custom polygon display - option box and set face normal to ON then click apply select faces that have normals facing inwards then goto edit polygons - Normals - Reverse problem should be sorted

# 4 10-01-2005 , 09:39 PM
Subscriber
btw, just thought i'd mention that when i downloaded and opened the file you posted i didn't have the problem. The model seemed fine.

# 5 10-01-2005 , 09:44 PM
Subscriber
ok opened the file found out its not faces but the vertex normals just go on to edit polygons -> Normals -> Set Vertex Normal sorted it out on mine

# 6 10-01-2005 , 10:22 PM
Subscriber
Thanks for the help guys

I had concentrated on the Normal faces rather than the vertices..

To fix it I had to set the vertices as normal then set them all to face.. Fixed it fine

Again.. many thanks