Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 06-06-2006 , 07:26 PM
Subscriber

Is there ANY way...

My question is pretty unique. I did a search here and nothing remotely close came up, so I will ask. Hopefully, someone can help!

I'm in the process of weighing vertices on a face using the component editor. I created ALL the joints in question, did a smooth bind on the head, weight-painted the larger areas (ie the head/neck &c), and have now just completed the eyelids.

The eyelid area virtually requires the use of the component editor, and I was able to weigh the upper eyelids to a main lid joint and several "fan joints" (to ensure the lid maintains its shape and doesn't allow the eyeball to pop through!).

The problem I am having now is that I want to weigh the lower eyelids but the joint I created for it in the heirarchy doesn't show up in the component editor!

Usually, this problem results from creating an additional joint/joints AFTERr binding the skin (this has happened to me before). The solution, of course, is to detach the skin and rebind. The problem here is that I created ALL of the joints BEFORE I bound the skin (in other words, they SHOULD show up). I also weighed about 90% of the head and don't wish to have to undo all of that precision work if I don't have to.

I also turned off the "Hide Zero Columns" in the component editor, which allows all the smooth-bound joints to show up. I checked just to make sure the joint wasn't overlapped by something else in the Component Editor column.

For some unknown reason, nothing seems to have been bound to this no-show joint, but it is right there is the heirarchy next to the other more successful eyelid joints! It SHOULD have worked!!!!!

IS THERE ANY WAY to get this joint to show up in the component editor without having to detach and rebind the skin? ANY help will be appreciated...even if it is confirming the "bad news"! :-)

Thanks in advance! :-)

Lt. Jim
NYC, USA

"Ad astra per aspera..."
# 2 08-06-2006 , 08:09 AM
u can go to smooth bind, and add it as an influence, you can also make sure your joints are all back to their starting positions and bake out your skin weight maps, then re import them, although this can sometimes go a bit funny.

# 3 08-06-2006 , 01:30 PM
Subscriber
Thank you kindly, westiemad, it seems to work and all I will have to do is re-enter the expressions (FAR easier than re-weighing everything)!

I always assumed (wrongly) that "influences" were limited to geometric forms which influence mesh geometry!

Thanks again, shipmate!

Regards,

Lt. Jim
NYC

"Ad astra per aspera..."