Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 11-04-2009 , 09:27 PM
EduSciVis-er
And the back of it:
It's still taking me longer than I think to model simple stuff, but I'm trying to make sure everything on the ship is there for a reason (i.e. has functionality) so maybe me just staring and swivelling the view constantly adds up user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 17 17-04-2009 , 04:25 AM
EduSciVis-er
Ok, so I guess this thread would work to ask for help too...
I'm having trouble with rotating an object. When I rotate it, it doesn't seem to be rotating the object as one entity, the components get skewed out of proportion. Illustration:
Normal:

Attached Thumbnails
# 18 17-04-2009 , 04:26 AM
EduSciVis-er
Rotated around an axis:
Any help would be much appreciated. Also I'm not really sure how to rotate around a custom axis so that the wings fold out properly. This one just seemed to work because it started as a cylinder. (Except it's not working user added image )

Attached Thumbnails
# 19 17-04-2009 , 04:30 AM
I'm not too sure if it's the same as the problem I had, but have you checked the Normals?
I had some where they weren't all facing the same direction and that happened, or if you started with a cylinder, did you delete the history?
If neither of those are it I hope someone else comes to your rescue, or you manage to work it out.
It's looking good so far, I like the spiral tubes for travel between decks, nice idea!

Good luck!

Actually I'm not sure either of those things are right, that only happens when you are extruding and rotating at the same time, sorry if I wasted your time... user added image

Last edited by Dango77; 17-04-2009 at 04:36 AM.
# 20 17-04-2009 , 05:11 AM
EduSciVis-er
No, neither of those things seem to be the trouble. Thanks for the ideas though, and of course you didn't waste my time. It's always good to get input, even if it doesn't immediately solve the problem.

# 21 17-04-2009 , 05:33 AM
EduSciVis-er
Anyway, here's an ambient occlusion render I did of the pod with cover open, wing out, and jet extended. There's little gears inside the jet compartment, but I won't bother with a screenshot cause they're not that spectacular.

I think I'm starting to get the occlusion idea; this is tweetytunes photoshop layer method (sorta), so thanks for that info tweetytunes. I'm not sure how to do multiply and exclusion layers and all that cause I'm not proficient at photoshop, but I think I could figure it out if I checked out the help for a bit. Also, still not sure how to get a black background with the occlusion render, it seems to be white for me...
Let me know if there's anything I should change or fix. And if anybody has ideas on the above wing rotation problem, that'd be super too! Thanks for everyone's comments.
And sorry for the rambling posts... I tend to do that. I'll stop now.

Yay... fifty posts... small milestones.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by stwert; 17-04-2009 at 05:36 AM.
# 22 17-04-2009 , 05:46 AM
EduSciVis-er
Hmmm... so I seem to have worked out the strange skewed rotational issue. A simple freeze transformation seemed to do the trick, combined with an ungrouping of a weird grouping that seemed to have arisen somewhere along the way.

But now I'm back to the question I posed earlier, about setting a custom rotational axis. Is there a way to rotate the pivot so I can animate the wings without messing with all three axes?

# 23 17-04-2009 , 05:59 AM
are you asking about moving the pivot? if so select the piece and hit "w" then hit insert and move to the end you wish it to rotate on. your ship is looking very nice. it has some really cool ideas implemented well.

# 24 17-04-2009 , 07:21 AM
The Nurb Herd
Hello, ambient occlusion passes are supposed to have white backgrounds. But you change the colour in the environment tab in the camera attributes.

For your rotation problem you could try switching the rotation to world axis. Double click the rotate tool, at the top click world

# 25 17-04-2009 , 04:15 PM
EduSciVis-er
Thanks for the replies. Tweetytunes had a black background for his amb occ pass, so I assumed that was how it was supposed to be. I can try looking at the world axis, but I think I've tried that, and what I really want is some sort of local rotational axis along the cylinder. I don't know what gimbel (?) is, but that didn't seem to work well either.

# 26 22-04-2009 , 06:00 AM
EduSciVis-er
So did some quick work on a different section of the ship (the fuel tank back section). I forgot to render it on a plane or something. It's not that detailed so I'd like to spend more time on it if I can. I still haven't really figured out the blending modes with multiply and all that for occlusion over color, so if anyone feels like a short explanation, cool, otherwise I'll read up on it sometime.

Attached Thumbnails
# 27 22-04-2009 , 09:11 AM
Subscriber
the reason I have a black background is the fact I don`t use the render Layer option - I make the shadder > apply it and then > render like normal.

In photoshop you just need to change the layer tab. Anyway here is a image from my set-up in photoshop hope it helps. each layer has the name I set the layer to in it aswell so you can see what I did.

Need more info just ask - looking good by the way

Attached Thumbnails

# 28 22-04-2009 , 04:31 PM
EduSciVis-er
Thanks for the info and comments. I didn't see that selection option in the layer tab of photoshop. I've got an old version of Elements that I got off my wacom tablets disc, so maybe it doesn't have that? I'll check that when I get a chance.

# 29 22-04-2009 , 05:48 PM
Subscriber
errr elements - never used it sorry but sound like that could be the case.

# 30 23-04-2009 , 07:36 PM
EduSciVis-er
I just thought of a clarification for my question about the rotation tool.
The move tool has an option to set the movement axes to a specific face, click "set to face" or something, and then click the face, and you can move in a perpendicular direction, which is very handy.
Is there anything similar to this for the rotate tool, or does that go against the principles of animating things?

tweetytunes- elements works ok for lots of things, but I should probably invest in photoshop CS4 sometime. I just haven't learned enough photoshop skills to fully utilize it