Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 04-11-2004 , 05:09 PM
Subscriber

Subd and self shadowing effects

Hi All, based on the cartoon video, I made a dolphin which came out really nice. The only issue I am having is that when rendering, the area around the mouth shows some self shadowing effects. I normally can get rid of this stuff when using polys or nurbs, but with subd I dont know what tools are available for this other than increasing the detail lvl (refining to lvl 4-5), which is not working in this case. By the way, none of my lights are casting shadows, so it is all self shadowing. If I render the poly version I dont get self shadowing, but then again the mesh is a lot less rounded.

The other question I have (i have maya 5.0), is there anyway to get mental ray to render subd's?

I can post a picture of the dolphin once I get home if that will help

# 2 05-11-2004 , 12:58 AM
Subscriber
Here is a picture of the area around the mouth im having problems with.

Attached Images
File Type: bmp selfshadowsample2.bmp (225.1 KB, 173 views)
# 3 05-11-2004 , 01:04 AM
Subscriber
And here is a picture from the back where you can't see the mouth.

Attached Images
File Type: bmp dolphinsmall.bmp (225.1 KB, 156 views)